Xerox 700 slow

Started by baritone, August 09, 2017, 07:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baritone

Hello everyone I have a xerox 700 and when we process a big pdf it is slow. My question is: is it processing from the client side or on the server side. Can I upgrade the memory and or hard drive like a ssd and maybe double the memory or cant?

Possum

Your PDF is processed through a RIP at the Xerox, either an integrated Fiery or another kind. That's where your bottleneck likely is, and no, you can't upgrade those. If you keep having this trouble, you might contact Xerox or tech support at your RIP's company.

If your PDF was made in-house, check and see if there is anything that might make for a big PDF, such as a lot of extra stuff in the original file or how the PDF was made as far as settings.

Let us know what kind of RIP you have, and maybe we can narrow it down some more.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

baritone

Its built in fiery and 8e we cant use the new workstation so we're stuck at 5.8. most of the times its variable data that went from 3 meg file to process to 6+ gigs after rip.

Possum

Sounds like it's ripping the base file and variable data for each page. There is a way to process it so that the main art is processed once, then the variable data is processed. The whole thing goes much faster that way. Unfortunately, I'm inexperienced in variable data, hopefully somebody else will chime in who knows what to do.

In the mean time, you might try splitting the job up into smaller ones and printing one section at a time.

Tracy

Those large variable data files can cause problems.
can you split up the job?

Can you make a smaller size pdf without compromising the images?
we have a daily data job that I Press Quality pdf because I can :laugh:
without problems that is!

baritone

that is broken up into 150 pages per rip

Possum

Do you have Command Work Station? It should have a VDP helper called Free Form. Here's a link to their help pages on that. It processes the master file once and the variable data separately so the RIP isn't clogged up.

http://help.efi.com/ref/vdp/en-us/GUID-A164B8E0-1662-412D-A8AA-EAFFEDEE429C.html

Joe

Quote from: Possum on August 09, 2017, 12:24:13 PMDo you have Command Work Station? It should have a VDP helper called Free Form. Here's a link to their help pages on that. It processes the master file once and the variable data separately so the RIP isn't clogged up.

http://help.efi.com/ref/vdp/en-us/GUID-A164B8E0-1662-412D-A8AA-EAFFEDEE429C.html

I was just looking at that in CW. Don't really see any way to select or create the data file. The only options for 'Create Master' and 'Use Master' is none and then a list from 1 - 100 that all say 'Not Created'. Anyone?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Yeah, they already have to be separate files, it just doesn't tell you what format the data file should be in or anything you actually need to know. I had seen a solution some time back on another forum but I just haven't been able to find it.

Tracy

I have never used it but I think you create your art file
and then your data file, and you select them accordingly
I will have to check out Possums link, that would be the way to
go for large files

hmm, I wonder if when you send your data file you can select a master

Joe

It looks like you can have up to a hundred and select which ever one you want. I just don't know how to get it there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I think when you print you need to select printer (hardly ever go there)
and click on printer features, Not sure if you have to have a package installed.
I see a VDP selection tho

to select printer it's on the left bottom in the print dialog
That was it, I found where you can select Master etc..

Possum

Here's a link about a Konica, but the Fiery FreeForm is the same. From other posts I've looked up, it looks like the data and master pages have to be created and merged in the original program, such as Word's MailMerge or something.
https://printplanet.com/forum/prepress-and-workflow/prepress-and-workflow-discussion/10723-ps-pdf-vdx

Tracy

Thanks Possum!
Maybe Swampy Marsh will show up here and speak splain :laugh:

Tracy

I also found that when you send a job to Fiery you can right click and select JobMaster
and probably when you print your data then you select master.
well something like that :laugh:

This is great! I am going to have to try it someday