Acrobat 8 Bouncing in the Dock

Started by Ear, November 29, 2007, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Okay kiddies, I haven't seen this covered yet and it sounds petty at first but the Acrobat icon bouncing in the dock is driving me APE SHIT! I'm thinking they did it because Acrobat now takes a full 30 seconds to open which is paralleled only by Illustrator.

Seriously tho, maybe I'm just missing something, is there a preference or something I am overlooking to get it to stop begging for attention? I have a million things going on, multiple desktops through desktop manager and I know what is open and not. I will get to Acrobat when I am ready, I don't want to be annoyed by a bouncing dock icon!!! It's not just upon opening, if I open a PDF, then go to say Preps to reference something for a minute, there it is, bouncing away. Lame Adobe, just plain LAME!!!

Oh, and I know 30 seconds to launch an app doesn't sound like a reason to complain but you guys know the time constraints in a production environment! It might not be so bad if the damn thing didn't crash so easily. I can easily start and quit Acrobat 20 times in a day. I'm thinking after a few months of burning time waiting for Acrobat, Adobe owes me and my company some money! Hell, I can get my entire computer to restart in 30 seconds and this NECESSARY application takes that long to get it's shit together?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

doubting_thomas

On the bouncing attention getter issue...

I tracked this down a few months ago on a code head forum found via Google. If I remember
correctly, it's a coding snafu in Acrobat that causes a conflict with a Unix operation. No fix
is out there that I know of, nor could I find anything at that time. Sorry it's not more of a
technical answer, but I'm not so much a Unix code head. I just Cmmd + Tab to it, then
repeat back to what ever else I was doing. It's annoying though.

I have no idea about your launch time issue. that seems pretty long though.

Ear

I don't think Adobe gets it when it comes to Acrobat. They create "the PDF" to replace postscript and give us PDF workflows as our main prepress tool. Then, they take our mainstay, Acrobat, and clutter it up with a cute non-functional interface. We are professionals and Adobe should continue to offer a professional tool if we are to use their PDF language and workflows. How about a little more R&D and testing of the product in a production environment!!!

It's like a race car with a pretty interior and a bunch of power buttons to control heavy junk a race driver doesn't need!

Using Acrobat 8 makes me feel like I am running a race and someone just made me put on a 70 pound backpack FFS! I got people on my back to get things out NOW and the new version of my most important tool is now a boat anchor!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

rrobinson

Adobe has offered several updates since this was a known issue and still HAVE NOT fixed it. Perhaps a bigger problem, not easily fixed, but yes very annoying. Launch conflict with unix permissions, apparently...
Rob Robinson
EPP Manager
Color World Printers

Kodak Prinergy Connect 3.1.0.6 (RBA/APA) - InSite 4.5 - Preps 5.2.3 - Prepare 2.1 - Lotem 400

Joe

Ha Ha...I just launched mine and it launched in only 24 seconds. Beat ya....    :P

Acrobat 8 is right up there with Quark 7 for me. It's obvious they did their user testing in an office enviroment. A pox on Adobe for this software.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rrobinson

Anybody having troubles with the TouchUp Object tool? Can't get it to work in 8, works fine in 7.
Rob Robinson
EPP Manager
Color World Printers

Kodak Prinergy Connect 3.1.0.6 (RBA/APA) - InSite 4.5 - Preps 5.2.3 - Prepare 2.1 - Lotem 400

Joe

Mine is working. What exactly is yours doing...or not doing?

Ear

Yeah, mine works too! Pretty well I might add.

Preps on the other hand! The damn thing refused to let me select a gutter between two pages!!! It has 2 pages touching, like saddle stitch but I want a gutter... stupid thing won't let me select it. It has done this before and I can usually mess with it until it selects but this time it won't budge. I need to find a programmer to punch in the face today!!!

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on November 29, 2007, 06:24:05 PMYeah, mine works too! Pretty well I might add.

Preps on the other hand! The damn thing refused to let me select a gutter between two pages!!! It has 2 pages touching, like saddle stitch but I want a gutter... stupid thing won't let me select it. It has done this before and I can usually mess with it until it selects but this time it won't budge. I need to find a programmer to punch in the face today!!!

Yeah that happens a lot. Select the outer border. Do a COMMAND + I. Click okay. Now draw a box over the entire gutter. You should see just the marks selected. Now do another COMMAND + I and it should let you change the gutter.

rrobinson

Quote from: Joe on November 29, 2007, 06:17:36 PMMine is working. What exactly is yours doing...or not doing?
To answer your question I tried it again this morning and of course... now it's working. Must have been a couple of flukes in a row back when I determined it didn't work. Either that or an update fixed it. Thanks anyway!
Rob Robinson
EPP Manager
Color World Printers

Ear

Thanks Joe, I got through it this time but I'll remember that trick for next time!  ;D