Embedding simulated fonts

Started by Kid Leo, December 06, 2007, 09:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Leo

I have a customer that furnishes PDFs that do not contain all the fonts and I do not have the correct fonts on my system. I have gone down the road with the customer of trying to get the fonts embedded and have reached a brick wall.

As it is designed to do Acrobat substitutes the Adobe sans MM and Adobe seriff MM fonts in their place.  These simulated fonts work fine for the documents, they are just forms. My problem is that I need to have all the fonts embedded for imposition and output through Preps. Is there a way to make Acrobat "permanently" substitute and embed the Adobe MM fonts in the PDF to be used instead of the original designated font?

jezza

I didn't think MM's were supported under OS X, no matter what. Off the top of my head I can't think of a way to do what you want.

Pay this place a visit and see they have some info. Sorry I can't be more helpful

http://www.planetpdf.com/
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Were multiple masters sorta "fonts that should never have happened?", jez.  Seems from what I've read about them they're pretty much an historical hiccup...however, this doesn't help kid leo.  ???  KL, what about doing PDF in> PDF out to PREPS? I've been able to by-pass font problems in PREPS this way on occasion. I don't have enough depth of knowledge on fonts/PREPS to know exactly why, but PREPS can pull some wild shots at times when it comes to fonts. Avoiding .ps in> .ps out seems to get around it sometimes. If it's embedded, regardless of whether it's the Adobe sub or not, should stay that way with PDF in/out. maybe do a quick test.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Zimmy3

Quote from: Kid Leo on December 06, 2007, 09:22:13 PMMy problem is that I need to have all the fonts embedded for imposition and output through Preps.
You could outline the fonts in the PDF in Acrobat.
Because it feels good !

Laurens

Quote from: Zimmy3 on December 07, 2007, 06:53:20 AM
Quote from: Kid Leo on December 06, 2007, 09:22:13 PMMy problem is that I need to have all the fonts embedded for imposition and output through Preps.

That is also what I would propose. I know you can convert fonts to outline by going back to PostScript after making sure each page contains transparency. Anyone aware of an easier mechanism?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Zimmy3

Quote from: Laurens  link=topic=670.msg8141#msg8141 date=1197062246
Quote from: Zimmy3 on December 07, 2007, 06:53:20 AM

That is also what I would propose. I know you can convert fonts to outline by going back to PostScript after making sure each page contains transparency. Anyone aware of an easier mechanism?
This has been posted before but...
add a watermark in acrobat,then flatten transparency.(all in Acrobat)
Because it feels good !

Kid Leo

I will try the suggestions.  Converting to outlines may work, I will have to try it. I'm not too wild about force flattening it but it may be a simple solution.

I am already doing PDF-> PDF through Preps.

I was wondering, I have a Harlequin RIP, do Adobe RIPs do automatic substitutions the way Acrobat does?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Laurens

Quote from: Kid Leo on December 10, 2007, 08:56:16 PMI was wondering, I have a Harlequin RIP, do Adobe RIPs do automatic substitutions the way Acrobat does?

No, although it would be a nice feature as long as you could switch it on and off on a job by job basis.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site