Acrobat & Intel Macs

Started by jason, January 09, 2008, 08:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason

I have a new iMac, with the intel chip running 10.4.10.

I have Acrobat 7, but it does not function smoothly running in rosetta on the iMac.

I am thinking about getting Acrobat 8, which would run natively on my Intel Mac. However, with the horror stories over it, I just don't know what to do.

Do I just keep Acrobat 7 or bit the bullet and upgrade to Acrobat 8?????????

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude.

jimking

Check and see if there's an update for Acrobat 7. There should be one at least to 7.09.

Joe

Quote from: jason on January 09, 2008, 08:22:30 AMI have a new iMac, with the intel chip running 10.4.10.

I have Acrobat 7, but it does not function smoothly running in rosetta on the iMac.

I am thinking about getting Acrobat 8, which would run natively on my Intel Mac. However, with the horror stories over it, I just don't know what to do.

Do I just keep Acrobat 7 or bit the bullet and upgrade to Acrobat 8?????????

We've got two intel macs running acrobat 8 and both users requested to have 7 installed on their machines and so that is what they are using and have not reported any problems with it. OS X.4.11
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Zimmy3

Runnung 7 & 8 on my Intel OS10.4.11.
No problems here to report.
Because it feels good !

David

running 7 and 8 here as well, no problems.

only I don't see a option to run 7 under Rosetta.

OS 10.4.11
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

Im running 6, 7, and 8 on my iMac with OSX 10.4.11, I am using 7 - 98% of the time with Pitstop and havent had any problems...     yet..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: david on January 09, 2008, 12:22:43 PMrunning 7 and 8 here as well, no problems.

only I don't see a option to run 7 under Rosetta.

OS 10.4.11

Acrobat 7 is not an Intel native application. The only way it can run is through Rosetta.

doubting_thomas

10.4.10 + Accrobat 8 and no problems except for the Cmmd + Spacebar zoom issue (works
but sluggishly).

jason

For me in my situation, Acrobat 7 is slow. Jobs with lots of photos and or transparencies takes forever to draw up on the screen. I know that I can uncheck overprint preview, but it still shouldn't take this long with overprint preview on. It drives me nuts when I try to check a job and I can run down to Subway for lunch while Acrobat switches to the next page and redraws.

I also see the "Acrobat 8 is Pathetic" thread and it just makes me wonder. I would like to believe that Acrobat 7 is slow because of Rosetta and if I had Acrobat 8 is would work much more efficiently.

Zimmy3

Screen previews are terrible in Acrobat period.
Because it feels good !

Joe

I don't see any difference in the screen redraws between Acrobat 7 and Acrobat 8.

ninjaPB_43

there's a button to the right of the wireframe button in Acro 7 called "speedup image display"  but I dont know how well it truly works..

its in the "Enfocus Pitstop View Buttons" toolbar, if you have pitstop..   

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Zimmy3

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=888.msg10051#msg10051 date=1199909936I don't see any difference in the screen redraws between Acrobat 7 and Acrobat 8.
I know,they're both terrible.
Because it feels good !

jason

To sum things up -

I thought the redraw/image display in Acrobat 7 was shitty because it was on a Intel iMac, however I have learned that it's just shitty no matter what, and there is no need to upgrade to 8 'cause it's shitty too.

I need a beer, Sam Adams anyone ?!?!?!?!

Sparky

jason, first of all welcome to the forum.

Second, I use CS3 with Acro-8 on my new intel iMac in a home office scenerio. I don't really push a lot of work through it but so far everything has worked just fine. I produce a lot of "press quality (modified)" PDFs for outside vendors and haven't heard any complaints yet about RIP non-compatible files, so until then, I can only assume they're working OK. ::)

edit: The last file I produced was a 108.5 Mg size PDF I sent via .ftp to a printer. It was a 16 page 4/2 and when opened on the Mac took less than a few seconds to open. The cover alone (see attachment) was 49+ megs.

I love my new iMac ;D
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"