Numbering

Started by Stiv, August 06, 2010, 09:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

I'm in the deep end now and I need some help.

I have a 2 part NCR job coming in fast. I need to print 5000 of these Invoices with numbering from 00001 to 05000.

All I can think of is to make a .CSV with 5000 numbers and print it. I made a.CSV file in Excel with the numbers 00001, 00001, 00002, 00002, and so on- it's 2 part NCR remember?. I made it Data Merge in INDD.  Now when I run the Data Merge it sits forever and ever because it is making a 10,000 page PDF!

This is crazy, am I wrong?

Lumpy

Whats wrong with that?
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

DigiCorn

Do you have Fusion pro? Use the sequential numbering feature.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

does your RIP use master docs? Just make the inD file the numbers and place the output file as a master. The InD file will be much smaller and faster that way..

gnubler

What Delooch said. Make the actual document a "background image" or whatever your setup calls it, then imprint the #s. I've been doing this a lot lately. A 10K page of just #s...don't know how big that would be, but you could break it down into 10 separate PDFs and just print one batch at a time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Ugh...good luck running NCR through a copier. Was the job printed on press and you're running it back through?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

been running appleton NCR superior.. the paper weights are more consistent across the cb's and cfb's so the copiers dont freak out as much with the different thicknesses.. no probs on our canon 7105 or 6000vp at all.

We used to run our NCR orders in mins of 250's, but since the shift to the copiers, weve been able to get that down to 50 sets and still remain more profitable than keeping them on the press.

im not crazy about shifting work from the presses to the copiers at all, but they are here to stay..

DigiCorn

We also use Appleton NCR for our 110. Sometimes we have to have Ray Morgan come in and replace the web afterwards because it picks up that carbon crap.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Quote from: delooch on August 06, 2010, 10:12:47 AMdoes your RIP use master docs? Just make the inD file the numbers and place the output file as a master. The InD file will be much smaller and faster that way..
Oooh it does. Thanks.

Stiv

Quote from: gnubler on August 06, 2010, 10:17:56 AMUgh...good luck running NCR through a copier. Was the job printed on press and you're running it back through?
Not preprinted, got an iGen3 here.

delooch

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 06, 2010, 10:38:51 AMWe also use Appleton NCR for our 110. Sometimes we have to have Ray Morgan come in and replace the web afterwards because it picks up that carbon crap.

hows your expericnce with Ray Morgan??  I hold them directly responsible for the current state of my print shop.  They placed 90+ machines across the city, then i lost about 70% of my copy center work thanks to them putting a fully functional finisher on every machine. fuc#$*&rs.

They did give us a fully loaded  imagepress 6000vp at no cost though, beats the hell out of the old clc..

service has been hit-and-miss, depending on the tech..

DigiCorn

Way better then IKON. But not without their flaws. They only have 3 techs on staff that can service our machine, and one guy (Joe) we banned from our shop because everything he repaired we had to call again on, sometimes the same day. The two others are competent enough, but sometimes you have to massage them to get them to come out; they're way overworked. However, they've gone above and beyond on some stuff too; i.e. they gave us a Ultra 10 RIP for free (an upgrade from our Ultra 60), which was probably worth a couple grand. They also have basically rebuilt our 110 with all new guts, which while part of our service contract, was also a help to them, as if our machine is working, we're less likely to call. Since we got the new RIP, we're down to about 2 calls a month from about 20.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 06, 2010, 10:58:17 AMWay better then IKON. But not without their flaws. They only have 3 techs on staff that can service our machine, and one guy (Joe) we banned from our shop because everything he repaired we had to call again on, sometimes the same day. The two others are competent enough, but sometimes you have to massage them to get them to come out; they're way overworked. However, they've gone above and beyond on some stuff too; i.e. they gave us a Ultra 10 RIP for free (an upgrade from our Ultra 60), which was probably worth a couple grand. They also have basically rebuilt our 110 with all new guts, which while part of our service contract, was also a help to them, as if our machine is working, we're less likely to call. Since we got the new RIP, we're down to about 2 calls a month from about 20.

LIAR!!! I never touched it!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 06, 2010, 10:58:17 AMWay better then IKON. But not without their flaws. They only have 3 techs on staff that can service our machine, and one guy (Joe) we banned from our shop because everything he repaired we had to call again on, sometimes the same day. The two others are competent enough, but sometimes you have to massage them to get them to come out; they're way overworked. However, they've gone above and beyond on some stuff too; i.e. they gave us a Ultra 10 RIP for free (an upgrade from our Ultra 60), which was probably worth a couple grand. They also have basically rebuilt our 110 with all new guts, which while part of our service contract, was also a help to them, as if our machine is working, we're less likely to call. Since we got the new RIP, we're down to about 2 calls a month from about 20.

funny, we have a RM tech named Joe thats almost the same story.. Maybe its just the "joes"  :wink:

we were avereaging 6-8 calls a week on the old CLC.. part of the reason we got that 6000 was to save them the repair costs on the CLC.

DigiCorn

Quote from: delooch on August 06, 2010, 11:06:31 AM

funny, we have a RM tech named Joe thats almost the same story.. Maybe its just the "joes"  :wink:

we were avereaging 6-8 calls a week on the old CLC.. part of the reason we got that 6000 was to save them the repair costs on the CLC.
Our 'Joe' is like 45, but he's rocking a soul patch and Oakleys. He's also totally prematurely gray, so he has bright white hair, including the chin pubes.

You'll have to let me know, delooch. I imagine in a pinch they could be shipping our guy down to you - it's only 150 miles. Our Canon God Dana gets sent to Fresno frequently to help out. But Fresno probably has it's own regular tech guys.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway