Quick Question: Kit Folder Issue

Started by Cakeat, November 03, 2016, 06:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeat

Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with creating kit folder imposition for die cutting and gluing the pockets later?

I created a file with 2/16 inch bleed but was told that I need to make the bleed 1/16 inch. This kit folder is 9x12" (finish) with 4 inch pockets.

Did I screw up or can this work? I can't change the file anymore I think.

DCurry

I've always made them with 1/8" bleed and never had a problem. There's still plenty of un-inked paper on the tabs for the glue to stick to.

Why can't you change the file to give what is requested? As long as it's not printed yet, what's the problem?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cakeat

It is already printed unfortunately. I was only told today that I needed the 1/16 inch bleed for the kit folders instead of 2/16 inch. I'm pretty new at Prepress so I think people just assume that I know these things.

Thank you for your reply though, you made me worry a little less about this!

born2print

Weird, we always do 1/8" bleeds on presskits.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Farabomb

.125 is the standard here for everything. One less thing to think about. The web place we do covers for wants .5.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Farabomb on November 03, 2016, 10:46:26 AM.125 is the standard here for everything. One less thing to think about. The web place we do covers for wants .5.
I think that is so they can fudge the spine and trim to fit the text, or to multi-purpose covers for different texts.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

We insist on .25" bleed on everything. Because that is just how good our bindery is. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

My Glue tabs are 3/4" wide with an 1/8 bleed always.
Rarely do we do a smaller tab.

Farabomb

They want .5 because Ray Charles runs the machines. The best part is when they change the spine size by .003 and expect me to actually change the file. I send the exact same file again and it gets approved.

I have a standard PF template somewhere here if you want it. It's .125 bleed with .75 tabs.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Cakeat

I have a couple templates I created for the kit folders that we work on already. But thank you for the offer!