Add Endnotes to the end of Chapter Text box

Started by Skryber, August 23, 2022, 09:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

This is probably not possible from what I'm reading but maybe someone has an easier way to do this. I'm laying out a legal magazine that needs endnotes put at the end of each chapter. I'd like them to be added to the end of the story text box rather than its own text box. It's set up as 3 columns and I'm taking the endnote text box and manually changing the size to the width of the column and placing it at the end. I can't copy and paste them at the end without losing the endnote connection. Is there a way to do this or does it need to be separated? It's not at big deal but I already have to manage flaky formatting from Google docs files. Super duper rare occasion I ask for a Word file instead. This is how I want to to look:

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DCurry

I've never worked with this type of formatting (endnotes) but I'm wondering if you can anchor the endnote box at the end of the chapter text? Kinda like how you can anchor a picture by cutting and pasting it into a text box and the picture would flow with the text?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

Quote from: DCurry on August 23, 2022, 11:14:36 AMI've never worked with this type of formatting (endnotes) but I'm wondering if you can anchor the endnote box at the end of the chapter text? Kinda like how you can anchor a picture by cutting and pasting it into a text box and the picture would flow with the text?
I will try this. Thanks!
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Quote from: Joe on August 23, 2022, 11:28:30 AMAre you using InDesign footnotes for this?
Well.....the files are created in Word by an editor using endnotes. She uploads it into the dreaded Google docs for others to edit. Once they are through with it, I download and use that file. Google Docs converts the Endnotes to Footnotes for some reason. I will place the file in Indy and can easily convert them back to endnotes and use the option to place at the end of the story and restart numbering per story. No problem separating Endnotes per story. I just want them to be at the end of the same text box the story is in.

Another problem is my Paragraph styles are removing the connection to the endnotes. But that's unrelated. I'll figure that out later...maybe. Pretty sure Google docs formatting is what's causing that issue. I don't have Word but I think if I bring it back into Word, I might be able to fix it there.

Joe

You could export the Google Doc as a Word document? Then open with free LibreOffice. Might be as bad or worse. Never know until you try.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.