FileZilla_download problems

Started by frailer, September 26, 2007, 12:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone using FileZilla Client for Mac? Or, if not, any FTP client for Mac. Our parent Co. just set the server up. I downloaded and installed FZ Client for Mac. All pretty peachy, 'cept getting a few iffy folders coming in. e.g., a Quark doc, [supposed to be]. Comes in as a nondescript file. Show Info doesn't give any clue. Same file size as the Quark doc he then emailed me. Also got a folder of fonts with 0 Kb file size. Yet was able to cobble the Pictures contents, [FTP'd], in with the emailed fonts and Quark doc, and get the job out.
We're newbies at FTP, but will get there. Any clues as to reasons or prevention greatly appreciated. Can't seem to locate any log on the client. At end of download, said all OK.
Shall have a look at Help menu tomorrow. Fuzz head right now.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

bluekivi

Had the same problems with our FTP.  Ended up telling all the clients that any files uploaded had to be stuffed (preferably) or zipped.

Solved most of the problems.  Something to do with being a Linux server, I think???

jezza

If Quark isn't installed on the machine where the ftp is hosted or downloaded to, then you'll have a generic icon, same goes for most apps. Once it's moved to a machine where the app is installed, all should appear correctly.

Zero k fonts means that the resource forks are fubared, make sure clients are compressing fonts before sending them by ftp. Best of all get them to run a collect and compress the whole folder, all including images should come through cleanly after that.

Hope that helps
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Thanks guys. Shall proceed accordingly.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beermonster

i'm using cyber duck and it works fine - until some client doesnt tell ya the file names and ya gotta troll thru about a quadzillion files to fint something.... ::)
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Yeah, beer, I've got CyberDuck, too, and it works great, but this is more a dedicated server-to-client setup. Instead of Download Mgr. kicking in, there's a full-on app overseeing it. I guess there must be advantages to that, thought they're lost on me for the moment. It's certainly more transparent; you can see what it's downloading, file by file. With all of that , I thought there would be an error log, but haven't located it yet, if there is one.
Better phone down to the Basement for the IT Crowd. Gotta love that series.

kermit

Try also RBrowser ftp client. It works with ftp and sftp. In not secured ftp mode it's free. If you want o use sftp you must pay some small fee. I am using Rumpus as a ftp server since 2005. It's great. Have 3 ftp servers now.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Zimmy3

I use a freebie called RBrowser for FTP.
My tech guy had it on my machine so I just got used to it...I like it.

OK kermy,you beat me....
Because it feels good !

frailer

Just checking. For Macs, Stuffit rather than Zip, right? Something to do with resource forks? Or doesn't it matter too much now?

Slappy

As long as they "Create Archive" from the Finder, it's fine - better than Stuffit sometimes.

Quote from: beermonster on September 26, 2007, 03:02:58 AMi'm using cyber duck and it works fine - until some client doesnt tell ya the file names and ya gotta troll thru about a quadzillion files to fint something.... ::)

I placed a Text File in the Root Directory just this week that reads:

"Do NOT upload any files into this main directory. Our system will purge everything that is placed directly in this area every night."

Sure, it's a lie, but I haven't seen ONE file loose in there yet! 
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Vee

compressing the files are a must. no matter what system, os, etc - it only makes sense!

I use FireFTP inside Firefox for every FTP transfer now.
Or if for some reason I don't or can't.... which has never happened - I'd use Transmit.
It has a killer GUI - Looks & Works exactly like Mac OS X. Way cooler than fetch or any of the others I've used.
my .02

Vee
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

frailer

Yep, compressing seems to have resolved it. Shall follow up on the other tips though.