What internet connection do you have at WORK?

Started by kermit, October 03, 2007, 10:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I have T1 as primary and SDSL as a backup. My T1 is slow and I need something faster. I wish I can get my Fiber that I have at home at work...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

MonkeyBoy

T1. Although we share it with another business so it's more like the speed of cable.

Joe

DSL at work. Fiber at home. My home connection blows the doors off of the work connection.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

DSL at work. It's acceptably brisk, but I notice a difference from my home cable connection. Still, I embrace all forms of broadband thankfully - I'm still haunted by the early days of using AOL on dialup and becoming enraged at dropped connections and 3 minute page loads. Never forget!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sparky

gnubler, I too remember those days, and the first time I got hit with a $1200 phone bill :o

I'm soooo glad those days are gone.

I've got Roadrunner cable at home, the old workplace had cable business class, but my cable at home was faster, then they got a T1 but in the econo speed range and it was slower than the cable was.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

David

at work it's a T3
at home I have recently upgraded to DSL
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jezza

T1 work, dsl home. The UK has the slowest broadband in Europe, if any one is interested I'll find the link
one sick prepress mofo

gnubler

We're both still way slower than the Japanese. (I posted this same pic elsewhere on the forum)

jezza

one sick prepress mofo

prepressDog

I wonder why the Japanese are so fast.
US just has too many damn people using everything up.

We have cable...nice and fast. Home and work.

whoami

I'm not sure what kind of connection we have but I was downloading something off the Adobe site and it was going at 3.0 MB/s. 

gnubler

Sigbritt, 75, has world's fastest broadband

Published: 12th July 2007 11:07 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/

A 75 year old woman from Karlstad in central Sweden has been thrust into the IT history books - with the world's fastest internet connection.

Sigbritt Löthberg's home has been supplied with a blistering 40 Gigabits per second connection, many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user has experienced such a high speed.

But Sigbritt, who had never had a computer until now, is no ordinary 75 year old. She is the mother of Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg who, along with Karlstad Stadsnät, the local council's network arm, has arranged the connection.

"This is more than just a demonstration," said network boss Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"As a network owner we're trying to persuade internet operators to invest in faster connections. And Peter Löthberg wanted to show how you can build a low price, high capacity line over long distances," he told The Local.

Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.

The secret behind Sigbritt's ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg, who now works at Cisco.

Cisco contributed to the project but the point, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, is that fibre technology makes such high speed connections technically and commercially viable.

"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson.

delooch

i want to say we are on a t3 here at work, and it crawls. my cable at home gets up to 6mb down. its blazin'. back before the prepress gig i was a 'network tech' for a national isp. it was about the time when DSL just became popular, we were sellin it like there was no tomorrow. people were signing 2 year contracts for 256k down at like $300 a month. it was outrageous. people would sign up, have to wait 2-3 months for an install, then  just to be canceled by the tech because they had noisy phone lines.

RobR

Cincinnati Bengals
LOOSERS!!!!!