GOE Pantone New System?

Started by prepress_goddess, October 01, 2007, 02:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepress_goddess

Had a customer come in and question me about it - I haven't heard any thing? have any of you? my next place to look will be of course on pantone's site

thanks in advance
publisher, word and excel - OH MY!

WharfRat

At this point it is based on RGB
but you know the print artists will get hold of it soon and be submitting files.
We have it in the ordering plans and will certainly be able to handle it when the files start rolling in.
The idea sems to be a good one.
More colors - fewer mixing colors.
The books are set up in what seems to be an intuitive manner.

We will see ...

MSD

Gutnbg

Looks like they're trying to change a standard. Don't hold your breath.
Quotefrom Suzanne Morgan's latest article at PI:
 http://www.piworld.com/opinions/opinions.bsp?var=story&sid=78722
The system hasn't been released yet, so there are a lot of people who have yet to learn about it. In fact, 22% of print buyers and 17% of print suppliers claimed not to know about the Goe system, according to the Print Buyers Online.com polls. And even for those that are trying to get up to speed, there are questions.

Of course, there are always those customers like ppg's who have to be ahead of the curve....

Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

pmhapp

Quote from: WharfRat on October 01, 2007, 07:26:58 PMAt this point it is based on RGB
but you know the print artists will get hold of it soon and be submitting files.
We have it in the ordering plans and will certainly be able to handle it when the files start rolling in.
The idea sems to be a good one.
More colors - fewer mixing colors.
The books are set up in what seems to be an intuitive manner.

We will see ...

MSD

Based on RGB?

It's based on Ink... 10 instead of 12 IIRC.

KOB

Gene Gable offers an excellent overview of the Goe system, as well as some great insights. "As far as the value of the new Goe system, $499 might seem like a lot to pay for a couple of binders full of color swatches," writes Gable. "But that's a moderate price for a professional piece of software these days, and I think most designers will tell you they use their Pantone books as much as they do most software. And what piece of software do you know of that is upgraded only every 45 years?"

See Gable's thoughtful piece at http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/25871.html.

Joe

Quote from: KOB on October 05, 2007, 10:13:12 PMGene Gable offers an excellent overview of the Goe system, as well as some great insights. "As far as the value of the new Goe system, $499 might seem like a lot to pay for a couple of binders full of color swatches," writes Gable. "But that's a moderate price for a professional piece of software these days, and I think most designers will tell you they use their Pantone books as much as they do most software. And what piece of software do you know of that is upgraded only every 45 years?"

See Gable's thoughtful piece at http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/25871.html.

That is a great article. Thanks for posting it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

papa v2.0

pantone is an ink mixing system or colour naming system

its a great system for spot colours but not for 4 colour work
there are so many colours that dont reproduce and dont forget the ones that do for coated but look crap on uncoated

its about time the industry dropped pantone

it causes so much hassle
now that xrite have it they might release the XYZ values for each colour for developers

then you would know if that colour would reproduce according to your destination profile

Joe

Many years ago while working for a gravure printer we made up and printed our own CMYK matching system and it worked great for our own internal use and for customers to have a book where they could look up color values and see what they print like. I think we may attempt something of that nature where I work now.

And yes it's great for spot color but not for 4 color. That's the purpose of it, right? The problem is the belief by designers that they can pull any color they would like from the Pantone library and have it convert to CMYK and it will match. Every chance I get I try to disspell that myth but they are a hard group to change their line of thinking. We've had customers before ask for a hexachrome color on a CMYK job. US: "Uhhhh, that's not going to match." THEM: "Why not?"

And the beat goes on...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.