Device Link profiles

Started by Stiv, January 26, 2009, 01:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Is anyone using them?
What software did you use to set up the profiles.
What is your workflow?

I am looking into device link profiles now and could use some advice.

ICC_Color

Hi Stiv,

ICC device link profile are very usefull for CMYK repurposing, ink optimization  (saving), TAC reduction, accurate color reproduction.
Many prepress workflow are compatible to use ICC device link profile like Prinergy, Apogee Prepress, Harlequin RIP, etc.
It is very simple to set up. All you need is a specialized software to create the device link profiles. Take a look at PerfX Device Link Pro™ at tglc.com

ICC_Color

Stiv

Oui merci beaucoup.

Oh yes, now I see the English version. Thanks.

mattbeals

Typically you will find them in your proofing workflow whether you explicitly know they are being used or not. They are quite useful for normal print production, but haven't really caught on as a practical tool. Callas pdfToolbox has been applying them for years. Enfocus just added support for them. I have a customer who drops a PDF into a hot folder for Callas pdfToolbox Server. Callas examines the PDF to see what CMYK profiles are used in the PDF and then selectively applies the appropriate device link profile. It looks for untagged CMYK, applies a device link profile based on the assumption that the untagged CMYK is actually SWOP v2. It also looks for RGB objects as well as spot colors and converts them to the appropriate CMYK space. In this case the final space is GRACoL 2006 1v2. All incoming PDF's are treated this way so that they end up in one common color space for all their output devices and intents for their press work. We treat the wide format stuff a bit differently but it's the same basic process. Examining the document for any embedded ICC profiles or output intents and selectively applying a device link profile. Depending on how you implement them they can make life a bit easier. Or a complete mess if....
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

whoami

We have a lot of printers and we use device links on all of them.  We use Link-o-Later from left dakota.  It has worked for us for a lot of years and has never let us down