Tabletop Scoring device

Started by delooch, April 08, 2009, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

time to pick the collective brain:

Back at my last employer, we had an acrylic 'tabletop' scoring device, it was a sheet of acrylic with a groove and an adjustable stop to set the scoring position.  It was great for short run cards and crap that came off the digital copier..

im trying to find something similar, hopefully you guys can throw out some manufacturer names or something for companies who might make something like this.

born2print

I get this mag at work and it is always full of ads with small-run finishing equipment,
here's their site (but I've never poured through it.)
http://www.packageprinting.com/#

Also, Rollem had a good rep. when I was in bindery:
http://www.rollemusa.com/Low_to_Mid.htm
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Chilbear

If you have a folder try this:
http://www.technifold.com/products/3

I bought one of the first in N/America and they were terrific.

Skryber

Here's what we do for short run scoring. Take a thin stainless steal ruler and tape it to the underside of the clamp on the cutter, jogged to either side. (We use the left side) Make it flush to the clamp. Then set your back gauge to the appropriate measure. So if I have a 10" x 7" card that needs to score and fold in half, I set the back gauge to 5". Then just jog the cards in and let the clamp down one at a time, and you will have a beautiful score. I'm assuming you have a cutter.  :tongue:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Adriano

Quote from: Skryber on April 08, 2009, 06:08:07 PMHere's what we do for short run scoring. Take a thin stainless steal ruler and tape it to the underside of the clamp on the cutter, jogged to either side. (We use the left side) Make it flush to the clamp. Then set your back gauge to the appropriate measure. So if I have a 10" x 7" card that needs to score and fold in half, I set the back gauge to 5". Then just jog the cards in and let the clamp down one at a time, and you will have a beautiful score. I'm assuming you have a cutter.  :tongue:

+1
Still not drinking. Never been better

delooch

yeah, im aware of this technique. it works on our big cutter at the main shop, but the cutter in my shop has a retard-guard on it and you cant operate it without the plexi shield down.

chilibear: Ia actually have that attachment for our baumfolder. I used it last year for a batch of announcements and the supervisor had a holy shit fit. It worked great, but the boss didnt like me opening the folder to put on the attachment. (hes not the most mechanically inclined) - so thats been sitting in a box collecting dust since.

ive been using an old cutter we used to trim plates, it has a grid etched into its surface every .5", score with a folding bone.. It works great as long as your scores land where the 1/2 grids are.. pretty cheesy though.

this acrylic board thing was neat. it was around 20"x16", with a 1/16" groove down the middle. You could set the stop to adjust for the score. It was very simple, and effective. I may just have to suck it up and pay the old place a visit just to see who the hell made it..

Skryber

Sounds like something you could make. Get one of those smooth plastic (or wood) cutting boards and cut a line into it. Corian would be a good material too. I like to play with saws.  :toaster:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Or perhaps you are talking about one of these fancy thangs:

http://www.adss.net/product_info.php?cPath=24_47&products_id=386&osCsid=b56ebc67cd2d5821eb46fce8eb0fb8d8

Looks expensive. Search around that site. There's all kinds of gadgets. We have a Rollem for numbering and perfing, but we never use it to score.

delooch

thanks skryber. good site.. ill poke around.

Chilbear

On the scoring collar idea, I agree it does take time to install. So I bought 4 more collar sets and installed them so I could slide the unit off to the side and move the "new" collar sets into play. Never took the unit off and just slide the collars sets back and forth.

Dawn

We bought one when we got our digital press. Easy to use and doesn't take up a lot of space. On the piece it says Morgana Docu Crease and then there is a sticker E. Thomas Brett Business Machines, Horsham, PA 215-674-4114. Hope this helps.
If assholes could fly this place would be an airport!

Chilbear

Is this the kind of table top thingy you are talking about?
http://www.generalgraphic.com/perfor1.htm

delooch

yeah, thats more like it. not exactly but the price point is right. we are talking 50-100 sheets per job.  Thanks!

the most aggravating thing about my workplace is the boss would rather outsource crap like this instead of dropping the cash on our own equipment.  i checked my jobs and last year we spent $2100 on just my scoring jobs alone. That would have easily paid for a nice unit to have here.. 

gnubler

At my last shop we used a homemade scorer for small jobs. Bossman made it in his garage. Just a block of wood, a guide, and a steel rule he embedded in a score in the wood. Made the score with a burnisher.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david