"Proof" rips vs. "production " rips

Started by jwgd, July 20, 2009, 05:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwgd

Hey everybody. I was wondering if anyone can recommend or relay their experience with large-format production rips? I have used Best Color and Oris Color Tuner in a pre-press proofing environment but not in a high capacity way. I currently have a demo version of PosterJet and am talking to Onyx.

Right now I am printing straight to the individual printers (Canon iPF700/8000) but we are aggressively marketing our poster capabilities and I need something more efficient. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

mattbeals

In my past experience Onyx was the tool of choice. It still seems to be quite popular. However there is ProofMaster's Perfect Proof that is very interesting. http://www.perfectproof.com/solutions/banner-and-sign Let me know if you need more info, we're friendly with the owner and their site seems to be a bit thin on information.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Laurens

Matt, can you tell us which technology is behind some of these rips that drive inkjet systems? For RIPs driving CtP systems, all the vendors are pretty specific about whether their RIP is Adobe or Harlequin based. For inkjet stuff, this doesn't seem to matter?  :huh:

Just curious...
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

beermonster

so far i have only come across efi colourproof xl <latest version> that is both appe and psl3 - caldera, onyx, wasatch (depending on who's version) and the like seem to be just psl3 at the moment

hell i even asked one vendor if their onyx was going appe and they had no clue what i meant

for wide format their is quite a choice but a good choice is harder. - to be honest onyx, wasatch or colourproof efi and you wont go far wrong - its more a case of testing with your kinda work to see which suits
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world