Own Up.. Who's running Photocopi... er, Digital Presses

Started by che.c, January 27, 2010, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

che.c

:ninja: Me am run those. Running a DC240 and a DC260, along with a Epson9800POS sorry, PRO. Soon to be getting a 700. Anyone got any experience those ones? Other than horror stories about the recent toner shortage?

And who all is running digital production? A lot of litho shops seem to be putting in machines.

Looks like the way the wind is blowing, and although as far as I'm concerned those DCs are jumped photocopiers - I still spank some of the less diligent litho printers in terms of quality. When they're working.. which involves more hammer wielding threats, red-faced swearing and well-placed boots than I'd admit to the customers  :grin: That said you can adjust curves and o/p profiles without running a new set of plates, can do some fancy stuff with that.

I think is a slightly different job to prepress, get to be both pressman, and prepress in one. Allows you to do the just-sucked-a-lemon routine at the reps when they bring in a file made in an antique version of Corel, as well as the evil-eye-oh-god-is-he-about-to-knife-me looks when being interrupted during one of the many pitched battles with the printing equipment.

PS Missed this forum, got really sick of print for a while there and avoided all kinds of extra-curricular activity beyond just running the damn machines. Then I popped on back here for a wee browse and remembered why I loved reading some of the threads in this place...

Chelle

We have at least one that I know of at our other location. We send small jobs (such as short runs of full color business cards) over there to run when it will be cheaper to do them that way rather than throw them on a big press. I have heard some talk about getting one in here at some point - maybe - but have seen no progress in that area. I guess when shipping jobs from another state becomes an issue, it will change.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

delooch

got a canon imagepress c6000 here. impressive prints. but a hella-glorified copier. keeps me employed though, so i love it!

che.c

Ahh business cards, why run them on anything other than digital? Except for the FTB reg of course..

I was keen to get a C6000 a while back but don't have the tech support in our area unfortunately :( Sample prints looked very impressive though, good bit of kit.

delooch

Quote from: che.c on January 27, 2010, 03:33:33 PMAhh business cards, why run them on anything other than digital? Except for the FTB reg of course..

I was keen to get a C6000 a while back but don't have the tech support in our area unfortunately :( Sample prints looked very impressive though, good bit of kit.

weve shifted our entire BC run from the presses to the c6000. the FTB registration is damn near dead-on. they have a system that registers each sheet before it attaches to the xfer belt, its impressive.

we used to have a clc5100 in here, that was a piece of crap. i was hesitant to get another canon after that, but this one has been very good to us.

Stiv

I'm off next week to train for the iGen. I feel dirty.

youston

NexPress 2500 here. Love it 80% of the time, and the other 20% it's down.

We do a TON of direct and personalized mailings.

delooch

Quote from: Stiv on January 27, 2010, 04:06:21 PMI'm off next week to train for the iGen. I feel dirty.

you should!

i had to flip sides years ago. i cherish the printing trade and hate everytime the pressroom loses a job to the c6000. but like i said, that c6000 is keeping my rent paid, like the igen will pay yours..

che.c

ahh it sounds like you're all running half decent equipment, much jealousy here. Most I got to look forward to in the near future is the 700 replacing the 240..

Why feel dirty when jobs go to digital? We've come a long way since moveable type! Would you have felt the same about jobs moving to DTP, and the same sense of loss when CTP started to become common place? The computerisation in a modern 10 colour perfecting press with inline coaters and driers can't be far off that found in a photocopier.

Syphon

We got our 700 about a year ago. Its very good, I think we are finally getting the bugs out.
Xerox could still improve its service. We have been having recent problems with their service.

As for the toner shortage, that's our fault.  :grin:
We ordered enough toner to stack to the ceiling after our order was late twice.
Piece of advice, if you get a 700, start ordering toner immediately.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

LoganBlade

Running the Doc260 for a year now. I had service in 4 times. I have drum shortage problems but have worked out a system to stay ahead of back orders. I do variable post cards and business card primarily but many short run letters and newsletters. I also have a Doc155 Highlight. Company color is blue and now do letters using the hightlight for company logo and have been cheaper on runs even up to 20,000 vs offset. I wish I had the printshop back that we lost but I am surviving with the 2 pieces of Digital equipment. Job count has not really siminished at the inhouse. Yaaa Job.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

delooch

Logan-

who makes that doc155? we were looking to oce for a black +1 spot machine, but we are looking for options..

Slappy

We run an Indigo 5000, not ashamed at all. It brings work in, and keeps me paid (mostly) so it's all good. I wish there was more of the fancy variable & personalized pieces, but that's a shortcoming from our sales slimes not a reflection on the press itself.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

LoganBlade

Quote from: delooch on January 28, 2010, 10:49:47 AMLogan-

who makes that doc155? we were looking to oce for a black +1 spot machine, but we are looking for options..

Xerox makes it. We have a blue spot but the have other colors that operator can be trained to removed and replace carriage for other colors I believe. Docutech 155. Screens suck but for solid work they are nice.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

delooch

what are you guys using for VDP on these things?  The built-in VDP feature on the Fierys suck.  We were "sold" planetpress 5 with our CLC, what a piece of shit. im sure its worth someone to somebody with a degree in conditional programming, too much for this knuckleheaded prepress dude.. most of our stuff is farily simple though, Indesign can handle most of it.