News:

Main Menu

Overprinting 95% K

Started by DCurry, February 22, 2010, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Let's say I want to overprint all black objects tinted at 95% or higher - how would I do that in Apogee?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Render-Trap in the Renderer Workflow, under Black Trapping.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

I thought so, but can't seem to make it work. I set it as low as 80% and it no worky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hmmm, Okay, tell me more about the originating file.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Nothing fancy -- in fact, I am just doing this as a test for future reference. File created in InDesign; I've got a magenta box with an overlapping 95% black box and some type that is also colored to 95% K. No transparency being used. I know how to get it to work if I set overprints in InDesign but I'm trying to see how to make Apogee to all the overprinting because I know of a future job that it would be handy to do on.

Export as PDF, using APPE (PDF Render) in Apogee.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hmmmm, are you turning the Black Swatches to Overprint off in your preferences within InDesign? If you are, than InDesign is making a knockout in the PDF. Apogee X will make the black OP, but because there is a knockout, it appears not to. When viewing your PDF within Acrobat, does the Black KO, or OP?
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

I've got my ID prefs set to OP black at 100% (can't change the %). The PDF has the 95%K  knocking out which is what I would expect -- remember, I want Apogee to take care of the overprinting.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, but if the knock out is resident in the PDF, you see the problem? X won't appear to OP it, because it's already knocked out. You will need to set up a Trapping Pref within InDesign, apply it and then have Apogee X honor it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

Hmmm... pretty sure I've seen Prinergy do that as well.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

It would. InDesign sets the precedent for how a file gets trapped initially, so the key is to make it mesh with your workflow. I take one job at a time, I like setting auto features, but trapping in the various apps is different, and need to be handled differently. Dan, maybe you would be better off setting up an action in Pitstop to set the 95% k to OP. InDesign will do it, but you need to attack it from the PDF level before it hits the RIP.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Yes, I know all the possible workarounds for accomplishing this task before it gets to Apogee. I'm just really surprised that you can't do such a simple thing in Apogee that I could do on ancient workflows like my old PSM rip. Brisque can do it, Prinergy can (I think).

Maybe I'll experiment tomorrow with using PostScript and the CPSI Render to see if it behaves any differently.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on February 22, 2010, 05:37:44 PMYes, I know all the possible workarounds for accomplishing this task before it gets to Apogee. I'm just really surprised that you can't do such a simple thing in Apogee that I could do on ancient workflows like my old PSM rip. Brisque can do it, Prinergy can (I think).

Maybe I'll experiment tomorrow with using PostScript and the CPSI Render to see if it behaves any differently.

I'll do some testing tomorrow and see if I can come up with a solution for you.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Switched to Render instead of PDF Render (CPSI vs. APPE) and no matter what I change it won't do it. Even tried submitting PostScript.

Oh, well, another disappointment! I'll keep investigating. Thanks for the help anyway.