Remove spot colour from PDF

Started by che.c, May 17, 2010, 05:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

che.c

Hi, I've had a wee look round and the internet (and around Acrobat) but haven't worked out a good way of removing a spot colour from a job. Now and again I'll need to remove a spot colour that's been used to show a cutting forme on tabs for instance, I usually set it to white overprint but that's a bit kldugy for my taste.

Anyone able tell my dumb ass how to delete spot channels from a PDF?

beermonster

select it with the object touch up tool and hit delete

thats what I do :)
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

You need to convert the spot to cmyk or just delete it?
What version of Acrobat?
You got Pitstop?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

mattbeals

PitStop can do it, but Callas pdfToolbox can move it to a separate layer. Moving it to a separate layer you can then make a separate PDF out of the die line.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigiCorn

I use PitStop and use the global color search find and replace to get rid of it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

che.c

The situation where this comes up is combined artwork and cutting die in one pdf. Some of my customers just put the forme over the top of the print-ready artwork and then I print the forme&artwork with one copy as a guide, and then the forme lines are removed and the job run. I mean, is usually between 4 and 10 pages but it would be nice to automate it in a neat way.

I've got Acro 8 and Pitstop 7.5

As I said, usually just colour remap to white overprint (or delete them manually if it doesn't work), but is there a way to tell Pitstop/Acro to delete any objects with a specified colour?

DigiCorn

In PS 7.5 Click 'Show Global Change'-->'color'-->'change color'-->'grab'... well, you can figure it out from here

you can also program a script in the 'action list control panel'. a few samples are there - you can pick one and modify it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I usually overprint dielines as a spot
and then just don't print that spot color on output

Stiv

Quote from: Tracy on May 17, 2010, 08:31:02 PMI usually overprint dielines as a spot
and then just don't print that spot color on output
Same here. I think you are asking for trouble by remapping the color or deleting the objects. Shit happens and then you are defending your decision to delete them.

Leave them, set to Spot/OP and pretend they aren't there.

che.c

Can you specify a spot colour as non-printing in Acro/ID? My workflow is basically PDF>ID>Printer RIP or PDF>Printer RIP (is just photocopiers, erherm, digital).

I use colour remapping/changing all the time in Pitstop but haven't found a way to achieve the result other than changing to white overprint (which usually, but not always works).

Farabomb

I'm with tracy and stiv. Sometimes I'll change the color to something that will show up better when OP (almost all my die lines come in as 4c) but I'll leave it in for proof and shut it off when plating.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: che.c on May 18, 2010, 03:18:21 AMCan you specify a spot colour as non-printing in Acro/ID?
Yes.

Like others, I also will overprint the dieline and then not output it when plating. I like to use the dieline in the proofing process.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

The problem is, he's printing to copiers on steroids. If he were doing this for offset, all your advice would be solid. I believe what che is doing with PDFs that are flattened is going to be the only way... setting them to white and overprinting. If you have Pitstop, then any PDF that is NOT flattened, the dieline should be able to be selected and deleted.
Member #285 - Civilian

Stiv

I'm flip-flopping my answer in that case.

Delete the sucker!

Wait, could you make a spot color in the copier's RIP to edit that color to "None"? Then, instead of deleting the color, the RIP would edit the spot to 0,0,0,0.

DigitalCrapShoveler

In cases he explains his "white method" not working some of the time. A flattened PDF would most definitely be the culprit. AS far as changing the die color to none? Not sure. I'm sure if it worked, che would already be doing it. I am assuming of course.
Member #285 - Civilian