Yearly 'maintenance' charges

Started by frailer, September 27, 2010, 07:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Any of you guys have an idea of what your Co. is paying on your workflow systems? Ours is just under AU$5K. That includes all upgrades and minor updates/fixes. Just curious. Especially any XMF users. We are a small (under 5 seat), '4-up' site.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

No idea, but it's not that much $$. I know that last January my shop upgraded to CS4 (shortly before I started working there) and the year prior purchased 2 new iMacs. Software-wise, we're set for a while with regard to the level of work we do.

Our RIP/platemaker is "old", I think they got it in 2005 and there have been no upgrades. It does what we need it to do. The owner is in the market to buy a new press early next year, so along with that will come many related expenses and new equipment/software.

I don't work in a *state of the art* type of shop. Lots of old-school equipment still sitting in dark corners gathering dust. Sometimes I find old, old manuals and documentation packed in boxes, interesting to find and look through.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 27, 2010, 08:07:30 PM$1200 per month.

Sounds like that would equivalate (just coined that), back to our size. I imagine if you were more our size, the big red'n'yellow fairy would be charging less.  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gtrev

We're just about to come out of a years warranty on a newly installed Heidelberg Platesetter - Software and Sundries - they've quoted us over $20k  a year Aust for a PSA - Obscene!
What proof?

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Interesting. This helps my end. Thanks.

frailer

gtrev

I'ts for all updates - hardware failure - phone support - yada yada - really sucks as a selling point for them - it's the same price as the PSA on our SM52 5 Colour?

Don't think we'll be biting in this climate!
What proof?

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on September 27, 2010, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 27, 2010, 08:07:30 PM$1200 per month.

For what? :shocked:

ditto to what frailer and gtrev replied. (workflow service contract - Prinergy)

We were using Nexus before. It was around $10K per year for 2 Nexus servers I think.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: gtrev on September 27, 2010, 08:46:57 PMI'ts for all updates - hardware failure - phone support - yada yada - really sucks as a selling point for them - it's the same price as the PSA on our SM52 5 Colour?

Don't think we'll be biting in this climate!

That's for your server, running workflow? Not your platesetter, surely.... :undecided:

gtrev

Yeh.. It includes the Platesetter/Stacker/Gumming Unit - does this sound cheap to you now?
What proof?

gnubler

Interesting. I don't have knowledge of our accounting dept information but from the questions I've asked it sounds like our RIP/platemaker purchase was a one time deal and there's no service contract.

frailer

Quote from: gtrev on September 27, 2010, 10:13:11 PMYeh.. It includes the Platesetter/Stacker/Gumming Unit - does this sound cheap to you now?

Well, cheaper.  :undecided:  So, platesetter breaks down...no call-out charge? But you'd pay for parts?   Ours is strictly XMF workflow itself.

gtrev

I've got a feeling that includes parts - they tend to ramp up the PSA the older the machine gets! to cover all the money they have hidden at the bottom of the pickle barrel
What proof?