9800 image deletions and lines

Started by Stiv, December 30, 2010, 08:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Have a 9800 and am getting small areas of image dropping out and thin hairlines in the direction of paper travel but only in the right 10" of image area on a 44" roll.

It appeared to have a pattern indicating that the paper was responsible so we changed rolls and lot numbers. Still no luck.

Have done print head alignment, power clean, cleaned rubber wiper, roll end core sleeves, etc. Still no luck.

It is unusual in that it only occurs on the right side (as you face the proofer), and no further in than 10". It occurs anywhere within that 10".

Stiv

The lines are now coming in halfway to the center. Ran a SS clean and a few more nozzle checks.

Looks like the heads have finally crapped out.

DigiCorn

Head wear is a possibility, especially since you ran all cleaning. Had a similar issue a few weeks back, and I did all the cleaning regimine as well, but still ended up with tiny lines - was running an impo'd proof to our 7880 and you'll never believe the cause: I had mistakenly re-trapped the impo (had already been trapped) and it was causing random tiny hairlines on the proof.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Ended up that the bearings in the carriage were bad. The proofer is quieter and running smooth so far with the new carriage.

Stiv

The tech ended up replacing the carriage and a wire harness. Took way too long and many calls back for him to get it right. I would have just got a new one.

DigiCorn

Who was your tech? 'Cuz we got Desicion 1 on our 10600 and they literally destroyed the proofer. They guy installed a new head and somehow broke every other part on the device. We are currently fighting them in court to get it replaced.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway