Customers are asking for "Ripped PDF"

Started by m2r, August 08, 2011, 06:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on August 08, 2011, 12:11:16 PMI have 2 customers that I have sent the VPS program to years ago. They still haven't installed it.

it's not like they look at proofs of any kind anyway.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

m2r

QuoteBut it rarely, if ever, rears its head and it hasn't been a problem for us to proof in this manner.
We have lost the "this is what you will save over the life of the lease" a few times over - and it's only been a couple months.
I only come here when I hate my job.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on August 08, 2011, 12:11:16 PMI have 2 customers that I have sent the VPS program to years ago. They still haven't installed it.

I had a customer that wanted to see the screened files so I sent him the VPS software, walked him through installing it and sent him the VPS files. He called back complaining about the "pattern" in the files. I tried explaining rosette screen patterns to no avail.  :banghead: In fact, he was threatening to pull his job out if the final printed piece looked like that. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

yeah, the biggest issue most have with previewing a "ripped" file is the horrible moire you get with a screened file on you monitor, the pattern is godawlful.

don't blame them for complaining, but you get what you asked for.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

They could view actual pixels, 1:1, on a 60" flat screen, then they wouldn't get the nasty pattern.  :grin:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 09, 2011, 11:00:02 AMThey could view actual pixels, 1:1, on a 60" flat screen, then they wouldn't get the nasty pattern.  :grin:

I'll pass that along next time. :laugh:

Ear

:laugh:  :cheesy: We joke but I don't see things like this being so far fetched in the near future. Twenty years ago we scoffed at the thought of the soft proof. Now, big screens are not that expensive. Hell, I have a 37" LCD in my house and that's just a baby widescreen.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 09, 2011, 11:14:10 AM:laugh:  :cheesy: We joke but I don't see things like this being so far fetched in the near future. Twenty years ago we scoffed at the thought of the soft proof. Now, big screens are not that expensive. Hell, I have a 37" LCD in my house and that's just a baby widescreen.

We have 42" flat screen LCD TV's on all presses but our pressmen didn't like viewing the screened VPS even at that size so we have to make imposed PDF's for them to view. At the time we bought them two years ago the owner got a deal when buying 4 of them at the same time. He got all 4 for around $2,600. They are quite a bit cheaper today though.

gnubler

My iPad folds out to 37" so I can work in Adobe at the coffeeshop.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on August 09, 2011, 11:29:11 AMMy iPad folds out to 37" so I can work in Adobe at the coffeeshop.

So it's the new iWizardSleeve?

gnubler

Yes. I tuck it up small when not in use.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Do you say "Go Go Gadget Meat Drapes" to get it to deploy?

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler