Apogee screws up trapping on this file

Started by DCurry, September 12, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Naive questions here... if the pic runs under the vignetted bar, how's it trap? If the pic ran to butt the bar, I'd understand. Is that bar an Effect from Indy?
Also, you dropping that into bog-standard 'process+Spot', or its equivalent in Prinergy?
As I say, naive questions, maybe.... Am not understanding the file structure properly, I suspect, in order to understand the underlying processes. Am interested, as getting same result as Dan.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 14, 2011, 08:35:46 PMNaive questions here... if the pic runs under the vignetted bar, how's it trap? If the pic ran to butt the bar, I'd understand. Is that bar an Effect from Indy?
Also, you dropping that into bog-standard 'process+Spot', or its equivalent in Prinergy?
As I say, naive questions, maybe.... Am not understanding the file structure properly, I suspect, in order to understand the underlying processes. Am interested, as getting same result as Dan.

The blue gradient bar traps to the edge of the image where it meets the gradient as seen in my screen shot. Over on the right side of the gradient it is knocking the photo out under the gradient. The feathering on the left side is the only place the photo is showing through the gradient. So on the right hand side it needs to trap the gradient bar to the photo. It still does trap the blue gradient on the left where the edge of it meets the image edge though it isn't as noticeable over there but it is still there because the trapper still sees where the gradient ends as an edge so it traps it.

Yes, the effect is probably applied in InDesign.

Yes, dropping it into a process+spot process plan.

As Dan stated, Prinergy and Apogee do things a little differently. I'm not real clear on how XMF handles things but in Prinergy you take the original PDF and run it through a process template which normalizes it, does it's color management, and traps it and makes a new trapped PDF with transparency still intact. Those PDF's are what the customer views in the Insite soft proofing. You place the pages from Prinergy in a pageset, think Preps run list as it's almost the same thing, you assign Preps templates to it and it creates a .job and .pjtf file (Preps) or you can instead do a .jdf file if you prefer. But remember that the trapping was done earlier. Once it is imposed we make our VPS files which are screened composite proofs we use for softproofing the imposition...much like your screen captures earlier in this thread. Once they are OK'd, we release it for one-bit tiffs for the CTP. Since color management and trapping were done earlier it's just basically separating, flattening, and screening at this stage.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Sounds like a different sequence of events. Have confirmed that XMF uses Adobe Trapping.

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 09:10:08 PMThe blue gradient bar traps to the edge of the image where it meets the gradient as seen in my screen shot. Over on the right side of the gradient it is knocking the photo out under the gradient. The feathering on the left side is the only place the photo is showing through the gradient. So on the right hand side it needs to trap the gradient bar to the photo. It still does trap the blue gradient on the left where the edge of it meets the image edge though it isn't as noticeable over there but it is still there because the trapper still sees where the gradient ends as an edge so it traps it.

This is where the diff is, by the looks. Adobe Trapping not seeing that, supposedly.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 14, 2011, 09:12:54 PMSounds like a different sequence of events. Have confirmed that XMF uses Adobe Trapping.

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 09:10:08 PMThe blue gradient bar traps to the edge of the image where it meets the gradient as seen in my screen shot. Over on the right side of the gradient it is knocking the photo out under the gradient. The feathering on the left side is the only place the photo is showing through the gradient. So on the right hand side it needs to trap the gradient bar to the photo. It still does trap the blue gradient on the left where the edge of it meets the image edge though it isn't as noticeable over there but it is still there because the trapper still sees where the gradient ends as an edge so it traps it.

This is where the diff is, by the looks. Adobe Trapping not seeing that, supposedly.

Hmmmm....could be. On the left where the image continues under the gradient that wouldn't be a problem but on the right where the image stops at the gradient I do see that as a problem.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2011, 09:31:53 PM...but on the right where the image stops at the gradient I do see that as a problem.

Agreed...

DCurry

Joe, you've saved me a lot of typing by summing everything up perfectly for Frailer!

Frailer - would you mind flattening the PDF and running it through your flow to see if the area in question traps? I'm pretty sure it will, but now I'm just curious.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Dan, it's 2130 hrs here, but email will be sent now to remind me in the AM.  Friday then.... woo!

DCurry

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on September 15, 2011, 05:30:51 AMJoe, you've saved me a lot of typing by summing everything up perfectly for Frailer!

:laugh:

Slow night at work last night!

frailer

Quote from: Joe on September 15, 2011, 09:57:48 AM
Quote from: DCurry on September 15, 2011, 05:30:51 AMJoe, you've saved me a lot of typing by summing everything up perfectly for Frailer!

:laugh:

Slow night at work last night!

Dan's detailed submission to AGFA... Copy, Paste.... Copy,Paste....   :cheesy:

pspdfppdfxhd

my 2 cents is: do you really HAVE to trap something like this? Nowadays with the presses we have going on here, the pressmen can hold a white 6pt. type reversed in 4 color coverage and keep it clean. i don't think i would have to be concerned about trapping on this pdf.

Joe

Really? Where did you get your pressmen? I need me some of those.

pspdfppdfxhd

Picked em up from other  companies that went belly up around here....old guys who really know how to print. Yeah, I don't know how they do it either or how we got them.

DCurry

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on September 15, 2011, 04:08:00 PMmy 2 cents is: do you really HAVE to trap something like this? Nowadays with the presses we have going on here, the pressmen can hold a white 6pt. type reversed in 4 color coverage and keep it clean. i don't think i would have to be concerned about trapping on this pdf.

My pressmen (and presses, for that matter) do need a trap. If I didn't trap it they probably wouldn't notice it, but I certainly would. Besides, it's only 1.2 million brochures. Seriously!

frailer

Yep, trappin' now....  We would probably get away with it too, but only because we are B2/4-up.  I can see why you would need it.