Anyone interested in pilot testing a new preflight program?

Started by Greg_Firestone, October 25, 2011, 01:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Greg, I think you just explained how printing shot itself in the foot. When the transition from film to CTP came we gave Preress away probably becasue they didn't know what to charge. Now we have cuntomers (I do that constantly and for this post I'm leaving it in) that don't care if the files are shit. We gave it away and can't get it back. Now you have manic prepressers fixing all sorts of crap that's not chargeable and when the shit hits the fan, guess who's fault it is?

Owners lack the sack to tell the customers we need new files becasue they don't want to loose the work to the shop down the street that's loosing their shirt as well. Maybe the few good places will survive this blight, maybe printing will go the way of the mechanical typewriter. That would be sad becasue it's an art.

I have 2 different kinds of preflight here but in neither do I want fixes automatically made. Each shop does things their way for whatever reason so there is no single solution for every shop. I just want accurate reporting of the newest turd to come across my desk so I can choose what type of polish on it. You ever have a version that does that, I'll give it a crack. Software will never replace a human.

P.S. Thank you t-pat for summing up my verbose post into one f'n line.  :laugh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Cloud-based preflight?

What happens if the internet kicks out? It happens once in a while.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on October 25, 2011, 02:48:18 PM
QuoteAgreed. Graphic Design Forum will eat up something like this. Any way that deziners can get me a better, cleaner file is a plus.

Unfortunately Graphic Designers have gotten so used to printers like you and delooch fixing their jobs they've settled on the limited amount of prepress knowledge they have. I spoke to one small publisher who sends out his monthly newsletter to a local web printer. He had no interest in testing the software. I asked why and his response was that the printer takes care of all of his files. He then added that he doesn't even pay extra for this because the printer wants to keep this business. I can't blame him for not wanting to try the software.

I've actually spoken with a few agencies and designers but there hasn't been much interest. Without trying to generalize, designers don't really want to hear about designing files properly or technical limitations (e.g. 5 pt white serif type of a 4 color background). I think some of this is instilled during their education. Very little effort is placed on designing for print. I've been in contact with some graphic design programs and they are not very responsive. One told me printing is "slippery technology" and said she focuses the curriculum on print design and web design. I'm tried to explain how lithography hasn't changed since 1796 but it was pointless.

Greg

Ask a Prepress guy what he thinks of this. We do all the work and yes, we do charge. Unfortunately, management decides on what to charge based on the original estimate. If the estimate falls short of additional consumables and billable time, often times it is adjusted in the customers favor, JUST to keep the customer. Customers are not learning, they are not adapting, they hardly care. Most of the time we get the short end of the deadline, and expected to do half the work because the lazy desinger decided to wait until the day before his vacation to do the job.

It's unfortunate that desingers do not embrace your software. But to expect them to do anything based off the above statement in red, is a lesson in futility. I shouldn't even have mentioned it. I know better.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on October 25, 2011, 03:06:34 PMP.S. Thank you t-pat for summing up my verbose post into one f'n line.  :laugh:

yeah I'm good like that huh?

And how the f*ck do these lameasses manage to get a vacation after EVERY SINGLE TURDBOMB PROJECT?!?!
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on October 25, 2011, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on October 25, 2011, 03:06:34 PMP.S. Thank you t-pat for summing up my verbose post into one f'n line.  :laugh:

yeah I'm good like that huh?

And how the f*ck do these lameasses manage to get a vacation after EVERY SINGLE TURDBOMB PROJECT?!?!

It's pretty laughable, is it not? I mean... EVERY SINGLE TIME. "Can I get this back in a hurry, I'm going on vacation."
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

and then when there are changes, they're at some remote desert island with no internet access, although they seem to be able to use their iphone/ipad just fine. FFS tether your damn laptop.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on October 25, 2011, 03:25:05 PMand then when there are changes, they're at some remote desert island with no internet access, although they seem to be able to use their iphone/ipad just fine. FFS tether your damn laptop.

If it's not that, you get the dip-shit manager or co-worker Sausage, "I'm looking through the files on her desktop, I'm seeing about 2,000 instances of the missing link you requested called, '1.jpg.' Can I just e-mail them all to you when I get home around 10?"
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

so anyway back on topic, there seems to be a need for software to educate/punish/rebuke the designer, not fix their crap so they can continue to not care and go on vacation while we try to figure out what new way they mangled their job.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

It really is just as simple as hitting them where it hurts. In the case of a Desinger... NO MORE VACATION FOR YOU!
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Well I'm going to check it out. I've found over the years it's better to keep up with technology to ensure you are qualified to work in the future rather than to hope nothing changes and you'll have a job down the line. I've automated myself out of many jobs but because I try to stay on top of new and emerging technologies I've always been able to stay one step ahead of the grim reaper.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.