Server Recommendations

Started by Sabrina The Turd Polisher, December 14, 2011, 08:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Make sure you buy your extra RAM from Apple.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

WTF is jumbo frames?

No backup?

Where are you...here? About 2 yrs ago when I took over prepress?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on December 14, 2011, 12:22:04 PMMake sure you buy your extra RAM from Apple.

Oh ya, DO NOT buy RAM from Apple.

(I read it on a forum somewhere)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on December 14, 2011, 12:29:03 PMWTF is jumbo frames?

No backup?

Has to to with IP communications, like how big a packet of info is...or something like that.
at least that's what I understand about it.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on December 14, 2011, 01:09:26 PM

No backup?

Has to to with IP communications, like how big a packet of info is...or something like that.

Did it help? My guess is no. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Quote from: Joe on December 14, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

No backup?

don't tell the Litho Gnomes...but so far so good.
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

frailer

I wonder if the critical number of occurrences of "do not buy RAM from Apple" has alerted the Apple-Bots. Watch for consequences.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on December 14, 2011, 01:51:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 14, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

No backup?

don't tell the Litho Gnomes...but so far so good.

Coincidence...

mattbeals

Jumbo frames are larger packets of data. There could be a number of problems going on but I'm sure you've figured them out by now. SMB connections from a Mac to a WIndows server CAN cause problems but doesn't have to. That's what the invisible ._files are for, the resource fork. If everyone has had a similar slowdown then it could be the switch going bad. Could be noise interference. But if you are looking for a server pretty much anything will work well. Even a Mac Mini.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Quote from: mattbeals on January 25, 2012, 12:20:31 AMJumbo frames are larger packets of data. There could be a number of problems going on but I'm sure you've figured them out by now. SMB connections from a Mac to a WIndows server CAN cause problems but doesn't have to. That's what the invisible ._files are for, the resource fork. If everyone has had a similar slowdown then it could be the switch going bad. Could be noise interference. But if you are looking for a server pretty much anything will work well. Even a Mac Mini.
Thanks for the info Matt! We are still using that NAS Dlink. My work around for the one folder that takes forever to populate is to use a PC to transfer the files. We are working on moving to a dedicated file server, even if it's just a Mac or PC stuck in a corner somewhere. I'm pretty sure we're dealing with the poor SMB that comes with SnowLeopard as well.  :cry:

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 25, 2012, 09:05:53 AM
Quote from: mattbeals on January 25, 2012, 12:20:31 AMJumbo frames are larger packets of data. There could be a number of problems going on but I'm sure you've figured them out by now. SMB connections from a Mac to a WIndows server CAN cause problems but doesn't have to. That's what the invisible ._files are for, the resource fork. If everyone has had a similar slowdown then it could be the switch going bad. Could be noise interference. But if you are looking for a server pretty much anything will work well. Even a Mac Mini.
Thanks for the info Matt! We are still using that NAS Dlink. My work around for the one folder that takes forever to populate is to use a PC to transfer the files. We are working on moving to a dedicated file server, even if it's just a Mac or PC stuck in a corner somewhere. I'm pretty sure we're dealing with the poor SMB that comes with SnowLeopard as well.  :cry:

Are there a lot of files in that folder? If so that is a normal issue. One thing you can do to speed up folder display is to open the folder on the Mac, then from the Finder "View" menu, click "Show View Options". Uncheck the box for "Show Icon Preview". That little sucker is a drag on productivity.

David

also turn off  "calculate all sizes"...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Both of those are unchecked. But, this folder has over 4,000 folders in it. :tonofbricks:
Thanks for the tips!

Joe

Yeah, in that case....it's going to be a slow display even on a new server.

David

might want to move some of those 4000 folders...

unless you got a lot of free time.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca