News:

Main Menu

Automation

Started by rab, December 31, 2011, 08:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boosted29

For Imposition automation, on the digital side of business, our company uses 2 techniques.

We have the Quite Imposing Plug-in For Acrobat. Of course I wanted the InDesign version of this plugin but management wanted something they would be able to use as well  :roll eyes:

But it is great for creating booklet spreads, Step and Repeat, It can automate page numbers as well. It can even automate Trim and Shift.

The other way is on our Command Workstation App on our Fiery for our digital printers.
We usually use it to step and repeat business cards or impose booklets.

But that of course is off a copier. For offset we usually don't use any imposition automation.
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

mattbeals

All sorts of things can be automated. Since you appear to have RBA with your Prinergy much can be done inside the RIP itself. But beyond that you can use tools like Enfocus Switch to automate other areas of the workflow. You certainly can automate the whole thing but you have to have skilled operators and people to set it up, maintain it and expand it. But you have to manage your expectations. If you want complete lights out automation then you have to understand that quality will be whatever is submitted. You can only detect so much and fix even less. If you throw enough money at the problem you can usually find a programatic way of solving the problem. But you have to throw a lot of money at the problem. Sometimes the ROI is there, sometimes it's not.

Manage/temper your expectations and work backwards.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.