News:

Main Menu

i just had to!

Started by beermonster, September 09, 2007, 01:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

It's good to be first, I don't think you'll be the last  ;)

Cheers for coming over 8)
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Damn, beermonster, didja have to remind me. Gotta upgrade to Q7 this week so we can stay ahead of the imminent upgrade by our IN-HOUSE people! Sob, sob, sniffle, sniffle...cretins. All they had to do was slide over to Indy CS2/3, WHICH THEY HAVE!! need I say more. Doubtless I'll be back here with some WTFs when things don't go right. At least there is a "here". :-[
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Mikie

Is this quark thing some kind of Indesign plugin, or ?

:D

kermit

I actually like Quark. I use it for many years and I feel comfortable in it. Maybe Indi is better but I don't use it much, so I stick with Quark now.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

frailer

Yeah, but...they still allow faux fonts, not to mention the transparency [lack of], thing. Mutter, mutter, mutter... ???
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

kermit

I believe Q7 has transparency but I did not install it yet on my laptop. For what I use (typing letters and memos) I don't need transparency...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

Quote from: stargate on September 09, 2007, 03:16:00 PMI believe Q7 has transparency but I did not install it yet on my laptop. For what I use (typing letters and memos) I don't need transparency...

And for that I'm sure it is a fine program. So is Microsoft Word. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

prepressDog

Most people are scared to move to a better program like Indy.
Just 'cause like you said...you know Quack. (have fun with pdfs in 7...it sucks)

But, just take the step...you wont regret it...we all had to.

Quark is to PP
as
Indy is to B4print.

Only way to say it simple...

prepressDog

gtrev

Quote from: Mikie on September 09, 2007, 06:36:36 AMIs this quark thing some kind of Indesign plugin, or ?

:D

HaHa - yes! plugs into the latest Vista ready version of Pooblisher
What proof?

frailer

On a slightly serious note, are there any obvious pitfalls to the install? The people at our designer end will getting "help" to install it. [..the concept of "help" as applied to prepress doesn't exist..we're DIY of course}. There have been mutterings of IP addresses being required to install etc...Have got the old serial Nos. from the 6.1 boxes; we're doing a Licence+single install disk install_it's $200 cheaper. Just thought someone might have some input if they've been down this path. :)

beermonster

transparency in quack is  a no brainer since the next move is postscript from your quack file. yes it can make an object "transparent" - but because you can doesnt mean you should

postscript + transparency=potential big problems - so quack doesnt truely support transparency - on an object level or one bit level

the install - well - i installed it on my ppcg5 3g rammers, silly size drive, dual 2.3ghz chippys - and had to download the 7.3 upgrade (300 meg in size) and install that as well just to get quack to boot up. then the registration/activation code shuffle dance as well and it was fun.

cs3 on the other hand, all of it, installed in about a hour tops.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Quotecs3 on the other hand, all of it, installed in about a hour tops

Yeah, was pretty harmless here too. Thanks for the input in the install etc. Rings a bell from another trailer park somewhere, but been on the road a bit lately... ;D

Won't be getting it before Friday, anyway.

kermit

Well, I do have CS3 Suite (Professional) installed on my laptop and Quark 6.52. I am not saying Indy is worst than Quark but I just never have enough time to master it. I am using Quark since 1994 and I find it easier to use. But Hey, this is a free country and you have right to own a firearm and use whatever software you like.