QuarkPassport and other language files

Started by Zimmy3, October 31, 2007, 02:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimmy3

Got some files from Germany.Most opened in 6.5 with a exception of a warning:
"these files contain paragraphs or style sheets that require German hyphenation".

Got 1 that says can only open in Quark PassPort.
I guess we need to order some because we are in the midst of going global.

Any heads up or tips appreciated.
Because it feels good !

David

good luck and may the force be with you...

we always have trouble with these, we get most of ours from Mexico, tho.
We usually end up asking for PDf files.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

I have Passport 6.5 buddy...
if you want a resave...
but it may cause unwanted changes.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

HA!
but - duh - I could make a press PDF for you without the change-worry

Zimmy3

Before I go to a Graphic Design forum I wanted to get tips/opinions here.

We are a large PrePress house with our own Design studio.

We will be getting files from other countries to re-design and to make small changes to.

Just trying to get some heads up with these foreign files to educate myself and our Design studio.

Not all will be Quark,some Illy,Freehand etc.
Because it feels good !

jimking

If it's a passport file there is a way they can save it for a regular quark to open it. I'm trying to remember what it is. Got it-----http://desktoppub.about.com/od/qxptutorials/f/qxpreadpassport.htm?nl=1

30YearsandCounting

Quote from: jimking on November 01, 2007, 06:42:35 AMIf it's a passport file there is a way they can save it for a regular quark to open it. I'm trying to remember what it is. Got it-----http://desktoppub.about.com/od/qxptutorials/f/qxpreadpassport.htm?nl=1

Passport does have the ability to do a save as, as a "regular" version of Quark.  But, it then uses the U.S. English hyphenation dictionary.  Text will then reflow because of the different hyphenation and line breaks.

jimking

Quote from: 30YearsandCounting on November 01, 2007, 06:49:34 AM
Quote from: jimking on November 01, 2007, 06:42:35 AMIf it's a passport file there is a way they can save it for a regular quark to open it. I'm trying to remember what it is. Got it-----http://desktoppub.about.com/od/qxptutorials/f/qxpreadpassport.htm?nl=1

Passport does have the ability to do a save as, as a "regular" version of Quark.  But, it then uses the U.S. English hyphenation dictionary.  Text will then reflow because of the different hyphenation and line breaks.
Maybe there's a plug-in. If reflow becomes a problem, purchase passport.

jezza

If you have passport, it will save to any of the supported languages from whatever language is in. We print them out natively so we know what it's supposed to look like and the we just make them International English, swear a lot and carry on.
one sick prepress mofo

born2print

Graham

Hi,
We are constantly working in files in different languages, and one piece of advice I would give is to request a low-res pdf with every open file. This way you can see what the file was intended to look like.
Cheers.

born2print

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Graham on November 14, 2007, 12:31:03 PMHi,
We are constantly working in files in different languages, and one piece of advice I would give is to request a low-res pdf with every open file. This way you can see what the file was intended to look like.
Cheers.

only problem I see with that(I request the same from customers) is the fact that most dont OPEN and look at the lowres pdf after creating it, before they send it in.. they just assume that it created correctly.   you need to be specific and tell them to look over that lowres pdf and make sure its what they want BEFORE they submit it with the job..
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley