any recommendations

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 24, 2013, 07:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

just wondering if anyone has any proofing suggestions. Our epson 7600 is on it's last legs..... we're sending pdfs to our Harequin rip which in turn dumps it into ColorBurst to manage the color. The color at this point is fading from what it used to be.

Seeing as this system is about 7 years old, we think it's time to get into something new.

Can there be a system that will manage the color from the rip supplied pdf? Then of course it has to have a gracol or swop output profile. This ColorBurst software is getting old...its not handling cs6 spot color files well at all.

pspdfppdfxhd

and it should be cheap of course  :cheesy: and hopefully have a method of calibration that's simple.  :drunk3:

Greg_Firestone

I don't have any direct experience with them myself but I'd look at CGS and GMG. I'm sure there are other solutions out there as well. No clue about price but. 

Greg

pspdfppdfxhd

Think we'll call Xitron about it, they are the ones that setup the Raster pdf system to get it into the 7600.  :drunk3:

andyfest

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on January 24, 2013, 08:07:27 AMI don't have any direct experience with them myself but I'd look at CGS and GMG. I'm sure there are other solutions out there as well. No clue about price but. 

Greg
They seem like pretty good people - we're having a system installed by CMG thru Fuji. You may want to give Fuji a call in Mississauga to see if they have a system that will be a good fit for you. The Fuji folks have given us superlative service for the past decade or more.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

David

Quad uses Oris on all our Epsons, we use 7900s and 9600s.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: andyfest on January 24, 2013, 08:23:27 AM
Quote from: Greg_Firestone on January 24, 2013, 08:07:27 AMI don't have any direct experience with them myself but I'd look at CGS and GMG. I'm sure there are other solutions out there as well. No clue about price but. 

Greg
They seem like pretty good people - we're having a system installed by CMG thru Fuji. You may want to give Fuji a call in Mississauga to see if they have a system that will be a good fit for you. The Fuji folks have given us superlative service for the past decade or more.

We already have a service contract with Fuji for our platesetter and they've been pretty good getting things done.

:drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

But the boss like to pick things up at the auctions they have around here. (the death auctions from defunct printers I suppose)

andyfest

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on January 24, 2013, 08:40:23 AM
Quote from: andyfest on January 24, 2013, 08:23:27 AM

Greg

We already have a service contract with Fuji for our platesetter and they've been pretty good getting things done.

:drunk3:
Sounds like they are already familiar with your workflow so it should make it easier for them to pinpoint what you need and what will work with your RIP. They have some pretty open & inventive minds in the tech office down there.

DigiCorn

I've heard GMG is better for the novice, and in addition gives you greater color control. We use EFI here, and we used EFI at my old place so I haven't used anything else in over 10 years. EFI is a bit of a struggle to set up, and making corrections on the fly is not as easy as the EFI folks make it seem. It's also not "cheap."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

none of them are cheap.
I believe Oris is the least costly of the group, but don't quote me on that.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 24, 2013, 12:23:43 PMnone of them are cheap.

Actually getting rid of all of your printers is the cheapest solution. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Quote from: david on January 24, 2013, 12:23:43 PMnone of them are cheap.
Sorry about quoting you - in our research EFI's option with all of the bells & whistles was about $5K cheaper than the Oris solution, but I think Oris presented a more robust solution ie: Chevy vs Caddy