Epson Stylus Pro 7800 questions -- please help!

Started by Fontaholic, November 30, 2012, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Just for curiosity, what kind of press do you run (and size), and do you use any stripping software (Preps, Dynastrip, Metrix, etc.)?

Sounds like you guys are flying by the seats of your pants right now.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: opsprinting on November 30, 2012, 11:26:44 AMI'll see if I can do that.

Right now, some of the pre-defined sizes include "roll" as part of their descriptions, but I want to do it the way you're describing -- like our old imagesetter used to do with film...

~John

wot's that :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

haven't heard that word in a looong time.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Fontaholic

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 30, 2012, 11:41:31 AMJust for curiosity, what kind of press do you run (and size), and do you use any stripping software (Preps, Dynastrip, Metrix, etc.)?

Sounds like you guys are flying by the seats of your pants right now.

A Komori 5-five color that can run a 20" x 26" sheet.

We use Preps, but my knowledge/mastery of it is basic at best...  :embarrassed:

Believe it or not, this company has been around for over 40 years, but its transition to the digital age has been... a tad slow, shall we say.   :old:

~John

DigiCorn

Is it a Lithone 26? We have the 6-color version 20 x 26. We also run Preps (v6).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Fontaholic

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 30, 2012, 01:02:00 PMIs it a Lithone 26? We have the 6-color version 20 x 26. We also run Preps (v6).

Yes, it is a Lithrone.

You have my condolences regarding Preps...  :tongue:  It (or at least v5) has got to be one of the least counter-intuitive programs it has been my misfortune to have to use...  :hangme:

The boss got someone in here to "train" me on it, but it was somebody who hadn't used Preps in a while and was frankly trying to remember how to do things while he was trying to teach me.  Nice enough guy, but I admit that once I actually dozed off while he was working through one particular way of doing something...  :sleepy:

~John

DigiCorn

Preps 6 is fine, as discussed in another thread, but learning it is a PITA.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Preps 5 has it's quirks but I don't have much issue using it. I loaded the demo of 6 and a felt a disturbance in the force.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Opspring, once you think about trying to run 'press-match' proofs, you have entered (what to me is) a skilled area of colour management. I would not be able to do it without setup by our Fujifilm tech, who looks after our Black Magic proofing. Having said that, once set up, it is kindergarten stuff to run proofs. We just need calibration/linearisation occasionally if there's been a change somewhere in the workflow, be it plates/press, upgrade of Black Magic. But we're so close to FOGRA39 Coated/Uncoated that it's been made even easier. Saying all this to paint a picture of a big step up if you're serious, then you can reach the sunlit uplands; or struggle on with make-do's/patch-ups.
Don't know where you're situated, but you'd need a loyal customer base to keep going; sounds like you're employer's slipping behind the times. A2+ offset printers are going down like Louie da Fly over here...
Maybe there's a failed shop with a Black Magic setup. Could get disks/dongle cheap. But you'd need expertise to set it up. There are other solutions, as digicorn's alluded to. I don't envy your situation. Seat of the pants indeed.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

Got the "Maintenance Request 0040" message recently. I used to know how to reset the machine to get this to go away, but I must have misplaced/lost my sheet on how to do it. I've scoured the goog for instructions, but none of them seem to work. Anyone know how to reset a 7880?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

The machine will shut off eventually if this is ignored. When I had this code I called Epson and they helped me even though I didn't have a service contract and it was out of warranty. I told them the new proofer was on order and this one had to last another couple of weeks.

Here's what I have chicken scratched on a paper.

Hold pause, down & right arrow (all 3) while turning the proofer on.

Press down 2 times to Clear Counter, right arrow then down arrow 9 times. Press right arrow.

Anyways, good luck.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Stiv on January 07, 2013, 01:30:25 PMThe machine will shut off eventually if this is ignored. When I had this code I called Epson and they helped me even though I didn't have a service contract and it was out of warranty. I told them the new proofer was on order and this one had to last another couple of weeks.

Here's what I have chicken scratched on a paper.

Hold pause, down & right arrow (all 3) while turning the proofer on.

Press down 2 times to Clear Counter, right arrow then down arrow 9 times. Press right arrow.

Anyways, good luck.
do i get unlimited lives after all that?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

That got me in to service mode - but no way to clear counters in there. I cleared them the regular old fashioned way, but no good.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway