Windows 2000/2003 Server + Windows 8

Started by DigiCorn, July 05, 2013, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I can "see" all my Windows 2000/2003 server stuff from Windows 8, but not the other way. Any ideas?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I can see and access Windows 8 shares from both Windows 2000 & 2003. Have you set up sharing (Advanced Sharing) in Windows 8?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Thought I had. Checked permissions, blah blah blah... shares on W8 just won't show up, the bitch.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on July 09, 2013, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 09, 2013, 09:40:38 AMalso, if you know how to make windows 2000 or 2003 (server) "see" windows 8 shares, that'd be really awesome

As I replied in your other thread about this my Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers can see, connect, and copy to and from Windows 8 shares. If you setup your Windows 8 account using a Microsoft account email address then that might be giving you a problem as some OS's won't let you connect properly using an email address as a user name. Try setting up a local admin account on Windows 8 with just a normal user name and password and then try connecting to the Windows 8 box from you servers using that account info.
I've tried on two different networks completely independent of each other, one with an email address login and one without and no luck. They both let Windows 8 see 2000/2003, but it doesn't work the other way (2000/2003 can't see Windows 8 - well, they can "see" the computer, but have no access to any shares).

[edit]I should clarify what I am doing here.

We are going to probably upgrade from EFI Colorproof XF 3.1 to the latest build 5, which is now known as Fiery XF. A hot folder can be set up and it works locally only on the W8 box. For Rampage to send files to that hot folder, the hot folder must reside on the Rampage box (via afp on my build). It is typically a letter mapped drive like Z. Currently, Z is a mapped location on my current EFI box, but now I need it on the W8 box, so I need my Rampage server to be able to see and communicate with W8, which right now it can't. I have tried going though an intermediary, like mapping to a location it can see on another box and linking the two, but EFI doesn't pick up the file. The documentation says something about having to have the same login credentials for a networked hot folder, but I created new identical logins with admin access and full control, but it didn't work.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Are you using that Windows funky-ass homegroup thing for sharing. Don't. It sucks.

DigiCorn

nope. here's that doc. again - I posted it somewhere else, but I forget where.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

So is this just a Fiery issue or you cannot map a drive on Windows 2000 from a Windows 8 box?

DigiCorn

I cannot map a drive on Windows 2000 from a Windows 8 box.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Here are my advanced sharing settings for private, guest, and all networks. Setup this way I can map a drive on Windows 2000 server from the Windows 8 box.

DigiCorn

same as mine.

I've been convinced for a few days now that it's a Windows 2000 network feature that isn't installed or turned on.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I didn't change anything on Windows 2000 server to get it to connect to Windows 8. The networking on it is as it has been since 2001 when it was installed. We used it as a file server for both Macs and PCs for a long time with both SMB and AFP. Nothing special.

DigiCorn

It was probably set up by an IT guy that knew what he was doing. This server has been here longer than me - no idea how it was configured or installed. Trying to figure out why it works for you, but no one else.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 09, 2013, 12:43:48 PMIt was probably set up by an IT guy that knew what he was doing. This server has been here longer than me - no idea how it was configured or installed. Trying to figure out why it works for you, but no one else.

No one else? I'm special?

DigiCorn

ok... can't connect using explorer or ip address... but i was able to map it like this: \\pcname\sharename
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Which really is the correct way to do it anyway...