News:

Main Menu

FILE CANT RIP?

Started by JARRIGO, September 18, 2014, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JARRIGO

Here I am again trying to Rip a file.
The size is oversize but I have done similar files without an issues. any thought on what this error means or how I can fix it? or make it work

Ear

I hate to go backwards but my go-to trick for lame files is to: Open in Acrobat, save as Postscript and re-distill.

Proper PDFs aren't a problem but not all PDFs are done correctly.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I'm with ear on this one. It's a last resort but redistilling has sorted some files out.

Even just opening it and doing a save as has sorted things.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Postscript is old but solid for non-cooperative files. Anytime I receive a file from Publisher, I will PS and distill back to a flat PDF. It removes transparency, which is good for sub-par programs.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

... and make sure you hit the "settings" button and give it a quick once-over before saving as Postscript. Also, be sure you establish a good, current Distiller preset. Press Quality is a good start but I always change compatibility to higher than Acrobat 8 and change output to "Do not color manage". Anything below PDF v1.4 will be trouble too.

JARRIGO

Thanks!
 looks like it's going to work as .eps double checking to make sure when I saved it we didn't have any issues with photos fonts ect.
of course its a rush job!

Ear

To be clear, I would go with PS over EPS. (Postscript vs Encapsulated Postscript). .eps was good for things like Illustrator files and images with clipping paths but never supported proper font embedding and multiple document pages like Postscript.

Glad you got it to work but next time, try straight Postscript.

DigiCorn

He's on Rampage.

Rampage syncs up with your platesetter and gets the absolute end size from that; any file with dimensions larger won't RIP. Sometimes you can "trick" Rampage by rotating the artwork 90 degrees, and then rotate it back when impoing; that's what I do.

I have a few files that I have to crop down to smaller than plate size before RIP to make them work.

For posters that output to our Epson proofer, I created a second output device with a max size of 99 in x 99 in and I don't have size issues.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Nerverackin. Sounds like a Harlequin.

My plate size is dictated as a media size in the stripping templates. Marks, pages, etc... are dealt with as live objects that are confined to the media you start with. You can change anything on-the-fly, until you release the platesetter tiffs. It is ridiculously fast.

DigiCorn

It's really stupid too. Our plates are basically 26 x 22 and Rampage reports it from the Screen as 26.496 x 22.008 but the maximum image I can RIP is roughly 25.8 x 19 or so. I have several jobs that are 25.5 x 11 so with bleed and crop marks, they won't RIP, even rotated. I usually crop them to 25.75 x 11.25 and then do the RIP 'n' Rotate trick. Then, when I impo in Preps, I have to spin them back into proper position for proper stripping. I'm so used to it, it doesn't even bother me anymore.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

It would bother you if you got to take a new RIP for a spin. Similar to how I liked my Chrysler up until a week ago, when I test drove a new Mercedes. Now the Chrysler seems like a POS.  :laugh: :undecided:

DigiCorn

Understood. I have a webinar scheduled for Apogee in the near future; I'm not excited.

I'm not a Kodak fan, but I understand Prinergy is da shiznit. I would also be interested in XMF. But we probably have to get Apogee because we'll be working out a deal with Agfa/Pitman and that will work out best for the bottom line of the shop.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Apogee was horribly, horribly expensive and they wouldn't budge on price. Kodak came down to where we needed to be and XMF just wasn't ready for prime time when we were looking.

I ran 2 Apogee systems and they weren't horrible. Hell I have one here but it's not a PDF RIP so it's really not a step up.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I'm actually Running Sierra, which is a rework of XMF. And from what I can tell, XMF (Sierra) are comparable to Prinergy in everything but virtual proofing. I didn't care so much about the virtual proofing a few years ago, but a lot of clients are asking about it. I see an upgrade in my near future. Hopefully Sierra has upped their VP game.

Farabomb

Virtual Proofing?

Send them a link to the hamster dance, they'll approve it. We all know customers don't look at proofs.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job