Bogus update screws up computers

Started by Possum, October 01, 2015, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

A test update for Windows 7 was accidentally published to the update queue yesterday. People reported that it either didn't install or did install and messed up their computers. Microsoft admitted today that it was a test update not yet ready for prime time. 

Just another good reason not to have your computer set to install updates automatically.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

I never have mine set for auto update. I have the family computers check but not install mainly because everyone just clicks through any and every warning.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 01, 2015, 09:52:33 AMI never have mine set for auto update. I have the family computers check but not install mainly because everyone just clicks through any and every warning.

You won't be using Windows 10 then. That is the only option. Or so I've read.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Wonderful.

Yeah, maybe not windows 10 either.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

I've heard the same thing about Windows 10. Also about how they log everything you do and you can't turn all of that off, either. It's so they can better serve you. Yeah, right.

Joe

I think that is somewhere between truth and paranoia. Like yes you have to do auto updates but they aren't logging and tracking your every move. They leave that up to Google and Facebook. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

I've seen a lot of flack about the "telemetry" between user and Microsoft in Windows 10. From what I understand, most of it has to do with the cloud services Microsoft offers so they can track your preferences, so if you don't use those, you can turn some of that tracking off. But not all.

jimking

:cane: Through all the years I've worked with computers (1980s) I can not stand them anymore. Its so bad, mailing your bills is frowned on now. Getting your identity stolen is ok, just a little hassle. Kids are socially retarded, staring at their monitors for days, even sleeping with their iphones. Lunatics making murderous threats on so called social media before they off several people and themselves (part of being socially retarded---period). Canned electronic hip-hop garbage music created on some dumbass music mixing Mac App..Auto updates can kiss my ass. 

rickself

Hey Jim - I was going to respond to your post much earlier but I got mesmerized by the screen flicker and just kept reading it over and over. Kept hearing this robotic voice saying "Dave, Dave, Dave..."

I too have avoided the auto updaters on Windoze machines. And my Mac, I always download the update, wait a month for bugs to pop up on someone else's behalf, and then update. I've never been the first one to jump on the latest updates.

:old:
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640