Contact your system administrator WTF!!!

Started by Dawn, March 11, 2009, 10:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn

I'm working on v 6.5 of Quark and I used to be ablr to preview in hi res now when I try to do this I get a pop up message "Unable to create the preview cache file because you do not have the privilege to make changes to the specified directory. Contact your system administrator" WTF how do I get this to work again!!! :death: piece of shit program!!!!!
If assholes could fly this place would be an airport!

Nick Burns

Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

EyeTech

Second, are you working standalone or over a network?
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Dawn

Dawn

working on a Mac running system OSX  version 10.3.9 running Quark 6.52 working on a newtwork with a pc server

Nick Burns

Next you need to isolate the problem to server or client. If you have another client see if it does the same thing, if so we know it's the server. If you don't, do you have Quark on the server? If so, see if it errors, if not, we can focus on the client.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Dawn

Quark is not on the server each Mac has their own copy. When I use the Imac running Quark 8 it lets me preview in hi res. I checked on permissions on the 6.52 version and everything is read and write.

Joe

I would still run the repair permissions from the disk utility application. Or from Applejack. Or restart with the shift key held down which will clear all of your caches and the restart normally.

Nick Burns

I agree with Joe, the cache you are referencing is local to your machine. You could prove this to yourself simply by opening a job locally to verify. If the same thing happens, forget about the network or pc, their outta the loop.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I would try running the file local as well. Here's a novel idea... have you restarted? When I get server errors, especially permission errors, I restart, all fixed. I know you probably have, but thought I'd throw it out anyway.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: Nick Burns on March 11, 2009, 11:05:37 AMI agree with Joe, the cache you are referencing is local to your machine. You could prove this to yourself simply by opening a job locally to verify. If the same thing happens, forget about the network or pc, their outta the loop.

Agreed. And I'm not sure where the Quark cache directory is. It may be a hidden folder somewhere that you can't eve check the read/write status of it so repairing permissions should fix something like this. Applejack will do it all for fixing disk problems, clearing caches, fixing permissions, as well as finding and removing corrupted preference files. I run it every week or two just for safety sake. And it's FREE!

jezza

Check your Quark preferences. In there is an option that will allow to set where hi res preview cache files are set. the default is the QXP folder. Throw that cache file away and you should fix it. Quite and restart afterwards
one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

Quote from: jezza on March 11, 2009, 04:07:34 PMCheck your Quark preferences. In there is an option that will allow to set where hi res preview cache files are set. the default is the QXP folder. Throw that cache file away and you should fix it. Quit prepress and restart a new life

corrected there for ya jezza mate

quark themselves told me working over a network is not brilliant - they advise against it. any twitch and it's good night vienna

do what the guys said above - and i especially recommend applejack
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Dawn

Jezza you are God! This solved it! Thanks for everyones help, beers on me at the bar just tell 'em to put it on my tab!