News:

Main Menu

What font is this?

Started by Joe, September 15, 2010, 12:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: youston on September 16, 2010, 10:42:34 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 10:21:57 AMI just think it's absurd she can't do what she should have done to begin with, then expect you to do the leg work.

What?!? Are you new to prepress or something?  :huh:

Seriously, think about it. Don't we do enough already? Now we have to physically hunt for fonts on websites? It's one thing to do this on your own to save time and red-tape, but for the customer to ask you to do this, is just absurd. You MFers get on me about finger-fucking native jobs, but you are willing to play Dan McGarret on fonts? :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Joe, that free font site, you wouldn't happen to know if "Classic Roman" caps or regular or both" is a free download?

gnubler

I'm with Joe on this one. If I'm directed to a site to find files or whatever, I'd rather do it myself.

Most of our customers can barely send an email attachment.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 11:19:19 AM
Quote from: youston on September 16, 2010, 10:42:34 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 10:21:57 AMI just think it's absurd she can't do what she should have done to begin with, then expect you to do the leg work.

What?!? Are you new to prepress or something?  :huh:

Seriously, think about it. Don't we do enough already? Now we have to physically hunt for fonts on websites? It's one thing to do this on your own to save time and red-tape, but for the customer to ask you to do this, is just absurd. You MFers get on me about finger-fucking native jobs, but you are willing to play Dan McGarret on fonts? :laugh:

I don't look at it that way. I get paid by the hour, and my customers get charged for my time. If they're willing to pay me for the simple task of finding and downloading a font, who am I to object? Beats the hell out of a lot of other things I'm tasked with doing.

Joe

Quote from: jimking on September 16, 2010, 11:20:55 AMJoe, that free font site, you wouldn't happen to know if "Classic Roman" caps or regular or both" is a free download?

The free font site the customer sent me to?

I don't see it listed there but here is the URL: FREE ARTS & CRAFTS STYLE FONTS - For both Mac & PC!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I guess I am not understanding this. You're telling me, a customer sets up a job with this font, doesn't send it, so you would rather go on a wild goose chase then just get the bitch to send it to you? Furthermore, you are in contact with her, because she told you where to find it. I just don't see how this is better. The next job she's going to send a text file with URLs to get her fonts, and that's okay too, right? We are Prepress, have some dignity. Just because our profession is dwindling doesn't mean you have to start physically eating shit for a living.

Tell me I am misunderstanding this.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 11:27:24 AMI guess I am not understanding this. You're telling me, a customer sets up a job with this font, doesn't send it, so you would rather go on a wild goose chase then just get the bitch to send it to you? Furthermore, you are in contact with her, because she told you where to find it. I just don't see how this is better. The next job she's going to send a text file with URLs to get her fonts, and that's okay too, right? We are Prepress, have some dignity. Just because our profession is dwindling doesn't mean you have to start physically eating shit for a living.

You are misunderstanding this.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2010, 11:29:24 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 11:27:24 AMI guess I am not understanding this. You're telling me, a customer sets up a job with this font, doesn't send it, so you would rather go on a wild goose chase then just get the bitch to send it to you? Furthermore, you are in contact with her, because she told you where to find it. I just don't see how this is better. The next job she's going to send a text file with URLs to get her fonts, and that's okay too, right? We are Prepress, have some dignity. Just because our profession is dwindling doesn't mean you have to start physically eating shit for a living.

Enlighten me please.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: jimking on September 16, 2010, 11:20:55 AMJoe, that free font site, you wouldn't happen to know if "Classic Roman" caps or regular or both" is a free download?

Looks like it's not a freebie.

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 11:31:04 AM

Enlighten me please.

Well in this case it isn't for prepress. It is for web development.

And I've spent my whole prepress life chasing down fonts for customers because if you ask them for them they say, "where can I find it"? and "how do I send it" and if they do send it they don't compress it and it gets to me a zero kb file. I found over the years it's less aggravating and easier to go find it myself if at all possible. And if it isn't I change it to something similar. Fonts are the main reason I despise native files. Customers are too stupid to properly package everything and send it correctly. And like youston said, I'm getting paid for it so if I want it done right I do it myself.

Joe

Here is a free version of Classic Roman Caps. Not sure if it is the same one you mention as it comes out in black boxes with white letters. Except the "T".

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2010, 11:36:42 AM

Enlighten me please.

And I've spent my whole prepress life chasing down fonts for customers because if you ask them for them they say, "where can I find it"? and "how do I send it" and if they do send it they don't compress it and it gets to me a zero kb file. I found over the years it's less aggravating and easier to go find it myself if at all possible. And if it isn't I change it to something similar. Fonts are the main reason I despise native files. Customers are too stupid to properly package everything and send it correctly. And like youston said, I'm getting paid for it so if I want it done right I do it myself.

SO this particular graphic was something she requested you "create," yes? That's different. I did say in the beginning of all this, that I didn't know the semantics of the job, BUT....

It looked a lot like a customer throwing you to the wolves on a print job. BTW, I totally agree with everything you're saying... that's not what it sounded like before. Thanks for clearing it up.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2010, 11:53:35 AM
Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2010, 11:36:42 AM

Enlighten me please.

SO this particular graphic was something she requested you "create," yes? That's different. I did say in the beginning of all this, that I didn't know the semantics of the job, BUT....

It looked a lot like a customer throwing you to the wolves on a print job. BTW, I totally agree with everything you're saying... that's not what it sounded like before. Thanks for clearing it up.

Actually she didn't request it. I saw the crap that was there and wanted it done right. As Mike Holmes would say...do it right the first time!

And see there. I told you that you were misunderstanding the situation. :tongue: :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

I had to be. Things just didn't add up. Houston NEVER disagrees with me. :sarcasm:

I would have done the same thing. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2010, 11:52:16 AM

Here is a free version of Classic Roman Caps. Not sure if it is the same one you mention as it comes out in black boxes with white letters. Except the "T".
Thanks Joe. Not the correct version. Customer will need to shell out the money for this one.