News:

Main Menu

Ubuntu

Started by frailer, May 13, 2019, 09:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Son's letting Apple go. He's been talking to some other nerds in his digital graphics/audio installation team when he was in NY doing an install there in a large foyer, who are more up on that stuff than he was, and has already taken delivery of a Lenovo from a mob in Melbourne with a version of Ubuntu installed. He's gone to a Sony Android phone.
Thinking about it myself when the time comes.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Certainly do-able with Ubuntu over the Mac. However first thing you will notice is the apps are no where near as polished. And where are they installed? No one knows. :rotf:

And the latest version of Ubuntu, although free, still requires a PC with plenty of CPU/RAM. As much as Windows/Macs.

As far as phones I've always had Android. Right now I use a Google Pixel XL. Best phone I've had to date.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

motormount

Which apps are we talking about?

Cause i think ''standard'' (= adobe) apps, are not so easy to install, and from what i was reading needs in cpu/gpu/ram are the same with a pc/mac machine.

Android phones ok ( my needs can't justify the iphone price's anyway ), but till now the only usage for linux i can think of, is installation on a old machine to use it for browsing and basic stuff.

Any one here using linux for serious prepress/creative ( print oriented ) work?

Asking out of curiosity!

Joe

Adobe does not have Creative Cloud for Linux at all so if someone were wanting to do prepress they would have to use apps built for Linux, ie...GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, etc...As far as I know there are no PDF editors on par with something like Pitstop. I think frailer was talking about his son's use which is not prepress but audio software.

I've tried many different kinds of linux and always come to the same conclusion. It sucks for general use and if you want the fancy GUI like Ubuntu has you won't be happy with an older underpowered machine. But if you need a web server Linux that would be my choice. Without the overhead of a GUI though.

AaronH

I just wiped windows 10 from my dads 2-3 year old Toshiba laptop and put Ubuntu 18.04 on it. Before with windows, it was using up 100% of his disk at all times. It was slower than a windows 98 machine - I'm not kidding either. After wiping it and putting Ubuntu on it, the laptop runs pretty smoothly. Its a little Toshiba Satellite with I think a 1.8GHz processor. Not nearly enough to do much, but he just uses the web and checks email, he's a teacher so he doesn't use much more than the LibreOffice it comes with too. Ubuntu is pretty snappy on it.

My mom has a MacBook and she managed to get all sorts of trojans and malware on it so I had to fix her machine while installing Ubuntu on my dad's.

Otherwise, they're both iPhone people. I had a 3g iPhone, then went Android and can never go back.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 14, 2019, 08:06:15 AM
Adobe does not have Creative Cloud for Linux at all so if someone were wanting to do prepress they would have to use apps built for Linux, ie...GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, etc...As far as I know there are no PDF editors on par with something like Pitstop. I think frailer was talking about his son's use which is not prepress but audio software.

I've tried many different kinds of linux and always come to the same conclusion. It sucks for general use and if you want the fancy GUI like Ubuntu has you won't be happy with an older underpowered machine. But if you need a web server Linux that would be my choice. Without the overhead of a GUI though.
Yep he's in the general area of sound, but also digital video/visuals, random generation linked to sound... all that stuff. He's heading towards coding towards the back end of this area, (I thought he'd want the creative mix, like he was involved in in a big install recently in Purchase, NY. But he doesn't like those extended onsite things too much. We think he's being a bit precious, but what would we know...  :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Sound/video needs a lot of CPU horsepower and RAM no matter what the OS is.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 22, 2019, 06:46:55 PM
Sound/video needs a lot of CPU horsepower and RAM no matter what the OS is.

Pretty sure he's covered that. Working with some nerdy types. He's seeing if a) that mob offer him a FT job.. or, b) if he thinks that what he wants to do, rather than freelance/contract.
Wife and I both feel a bit like Michael Caine in The Weatherman, ATM.

Ear

Ubuntu is pretty slick these days. I keep a bootable Ubuntu thumb drive in my backpack, cuz, you know...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: AaronH on May 14, 2019, 10:03:52 AM
My mom has a MacBook and she managed to get all sorts of trojans and malware on it so I had to fix her machine while installing Ubuntu on my dad's.

What is your mom doing that she manages to get trojans and malware? Maybe best to restrict her abilities on her MacBook? I know they are out there but in all my years of using Macs and switching over my family I have never encountered one once. Is she pirating software?

Joe

All it takes is one popup saying there is something wrong on your computer. Do you want me to fix it? It is shocking how many people say yes to that damn popup.

AaronH

Quote from: wonderings on May 24, 2019, 09:43:40 AM
Quote from: AaronH on May 14, 2019, 10:03:52 AM

What is your mom doing that she manages to get trojans and malware? Maybe best to restrict her abilities on her MacBook? I know they are out there but in all my years of using Macs and switching over my family I have never encountered one once. Is she pirating software?

Quote from: Joe on May 24, 2019, 10:45:25 AM
All it takes is one popup saying there is something wrong on your computer. Do you want me to fix it? It is shocking how many people say yes to that damn popup.

This ^. She's an instructional assistant and downloads things claiming to be word searches and other educational things from sites "geared" toward teachers and such. They apparently usually request she download some app so she can view it, or is a word doc that has a popup that requests an app so she can print it. Next thing you know, she's got a weird home page, popups asking to update Chromium (which she doesn't use and wouldn't know how to install Chromium - I don't even really know the difference between it and Chrome), Yahoo search bar addons and God knows what else.

After running malware bytes, I got rid of 9+ bad apps and viruses/trojans/malware.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

born2print

My FIL has been very vulnerable in the past.
It seems counter intuitive to me that folks that can barely use the device are so quick to click on crazy shit.
He once upgraded from Win7 to 10 without knowing what he was doing, that was fun to fix.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

My guess is that they think it a nice gesture from the internet folks so yeah, why not, lets click that bad boy! :rotf:

David

The internet wouldn't dare to lie to them, they are your parents.
:gom:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca