Constantly Losing Prefs on Crash

Started by Slappy, December 21, 2018, 09:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Latest Version 14.0.1 and suddenly whenever InDy crashing, either on its own or if I have to Force Quit (more on that later) ALL the Prefs get reset to scratch. The only thing that's maintained are the custom Workspaces, oddly. And now that I look, the Custom KB Shortcut Set is there too and intact.

I've remade all of those, closed InDy "cleanly" and restarted it to see if they'll hold but nope. I guess I need to keep a Backup of that Prefs file so I can sort of easily replace it every time it takes a dump, huh?

This version also seems a LOT more prone to freezing up, crashing for odd reasons too. I've had it lock up just printing jobs to the laser, previewing Seps, other things that caused no issue in the immediate previous version. Making me pretty hostile.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Not seeing any of those issues.

Maybe your prefs file is corrupt causing the issues. Start Indy by holding down the control+shift+command+option key and tell it to delete the preferences when it asks you. Then redo your prefs and quit Indy and see if they hold.

If that doesn't work I think I would uninstall Indy and re-install.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Good call, I'll try that. At least I have backups of all my Print Settings & New Document Presets or I'd murrrrrrder somebody.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Just_A_Mac_Guy

I had that for a while in CC2017. Might be indesign, Might be your Font Manager, Might be the OS...

All of which seem to have updates every other week that mess up the works.

I keep a working back up of my preferences and workspaces and shortcuts to where the belong in my system folder.
Indesign cc2018 has been fairly stable this year. We just upgraded to FontExplorer X Pro 6.0.5 which has minor annoyances...

Slappy

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on December 21, 2018, 10:34:14 AMI had that for a while in CC2017. Might be indesign, Might be your Font Manager, Might be the OS...

All of which seem to have updates every other week that mess up the works.

I keep a working back up of my preferences and workspaces and shortcuts to where the belong in my system folder.
Indesign cc2018 has been fairly stable this year. We just upgraded to FontExplorer X Pro 6.0.5 which has minor annoyances...
Yeah, I've got a Backup folder of all the Prefs now & a shortcut to the System Library too, if it keeps getting bitchy. we started using Suitcase Fusion earlier in the year, I'm not a huge fan but the in-house dezigners like it so it stays. It's pretty picky about Updates too, and when they occur updating all the app extensions, and it HAS to start in a certain order or nothing works.