Fuses on Azura C125 gummer

Started by DCurry, December 13, 2011, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Has anyone ever replaced any fuses on an Agfa gummer, and if so did you use fuses supplied by Agfa or just pick some up at the electronics store? I'm sure they'll be pricey from Agfa, but I don't want to inadvertently damage the unit by putting in an incorrect fuse.

The reason I ask is that I can't tell if the fuses are blown or not - they are not see-through. They have little colored lines on a white background. I tried scraping the coating off to no avail.

My scrubber brush quit working yesterday so I checked the fuse first. It looked okay, but to be sure I replaced the fuse with one from the service kit and the brushes worked again. Just to make sure, I put the old fuse back in and they didn't work so I know it's a bad fuse (I don't have anything to test them with).
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Bad news, for you buddy. It ain't a fuse.

That mylar push button panel is what's out. And it's like $3,000 to replace.

This just happened to us. First we bought a $400 scrubber brush motor (after checking the fuses and finding them all to be good with a meter) and replaced it. Still didn't work. Agfa sent us a new panel, which we replaced and it turns out that was the problem.

I think the brush motor is rated at 4.5 amps (but actually operates at like 4.9 amps, as told to me by Agfa service), and we replaced it with a 5 amp fuse we bought at an auto parts store.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

How can it not be the fuse? I put a new fuse in and it works.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Then you're lucky. Agfa told me that the motor specs are incorrect and to put in a slightly larger amperage fuse so it won't blow as often. Ours blew, and burned out the whole board.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

A fuse is made to blow to prevent damage.  :huh:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"Damn think keeps blowing this little 15amp fuse... I know, I'll use a 25amp fuse instead."  :rolleyes:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

I always wrap my fuses in tinfoil, they never blow

wha....  zzzzzaaapapapapap    pop!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

:laugh: Just stuff a couple of pennies in the slot instead of a fuse. Beauty.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

FTR, I didn't change out the fuse. The agfa tech changed it out, told me about it, and then the board blew... which is why they replaced it and not us... but they made sure to tell us how much it cost.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Santa

Changed a fuse on the Gum bridge once. Googled the fuse number and found it for $3.  Popped it in and she's been working 2 years now.  If it was on the platesetter itself I might check twice but the gum unit is a fairly straightforward machine.