SmartStream Won't Impose

Started by Slappy, July 05, 2023, 01:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Haven't seen this one before, a co-worker's version of SmartStream (loaded through inDesign 2022) just isn't imposing all of a sudden. We did a batch of BCs, set it to Fill Sheet and it literally did ONE card Top Left & facing Top Right as a Duplex.

Same thing with a basic 48pg saddle-stitch on a tabloid sheet. Even using their pre-loaded template it only placed a single page on each spread.

Un-installed using their app, re-installed and same results. I didn't want to remove InDesign completely, but I also don't think there are any other Preferences hidden anywhere besides the Plug-in Folder. We've got a call in to HP Support, just though in the mean time I'd throw it against the wall here too.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Never used Smart Stream, and it looks like you tried a different file already.

I got nothin, Hi Slappy!  ;D

David

The only time I have had this problem was because there were some fonts in the file that Smart stream doesn't like.
See if you can outline the fonts.
If the Indesign file is made up of pdf files and you used smart stream to "create" the ID file, you may have a funky pdf in the mix.

just a couple of my tricks, let us know if you get anything to work.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

I don't think it's fonts, I imposed it fine another Mac using the same reference PDF.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

I use SmartStream a lot and have seen it do a lot of weird things (I call it ShartStream) but this is a new one for me. The workstation in question wasn't upgraded in any way recently, perhaps? I know when we updated the OS on 2 stations we have had intermittent trouble packing HPDs from SmartStream (these are portable templates for use on Composer, the server-based version of SmartStream that we rely on.) The one station that wasn't updated never has any trouble.

Let us know what HP says!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

David

did you check the smart stream prefs to make sure they are set correctly. I had mine quit one day for no reason, the prefs lost the printer IP for some stupid reason.

Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: DCurry on July 06, 2023, 07:49:07 AMI use SmartStream a lot and have seen it do a lot of weird things (I call it ShartStream) but this is a new one for me. The workstation in question wasn't upgraded in any way recently, perhaps? 
Not that I could determine from the Op, although eh said this morning it "just started working again" after he'd restarted InDesign a few times. Not ideal, as I think it will happen again - I'd like a definitive answer.

Quote from: DCurry on July 06, 2023, 07:49:07 AMLet us know what HP says!
He also didn't place a Service Ticket as I'd told him.  :ohno:
We'll be doing that tomorrow, HP should be aware of it in case it happens again.

Slappy

Quote from: David on July 06, 2023, 07:50:09 AMdid you check the smart stream prefs to make sure they are set correctly. I had mine quit one day for no reason, the prefs lost the printer IP for some stupid reason.

Yeah, that was one of the first things we checked. Not really a lot of options in those Prefs either & nothing looked out of order. /shrug

DigiCorn

SmartStream sounds stupid.

Did you try in the preferences checking the, "not stupid," box?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Quote from: Slappy on July 06, 2023, 06:20:27 PM...he said this morning it "just started working again" after he'd restarted InDesign a few times. 
so, what were you doing before it quit?
nothing
so, what were you doing before the "nothing"?
Livin' la Vida Loca