Rampage on non rampage box?

Started by kermit, May 21, 2008, 03:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

almaink

Nope. I do know of one guy that was working on getting one tho. You need a special board in the box for RAMpage to work. The Hasp plugs into it. They also changed the shooter boxes so the screening is no longer done with hardware so you also need a special key for that box now as well. My guess is if you already have a box and it dies, you could remove the PCI cards for the hasps and put them into a new box. But if you do and you have issues RAMpage support isn't going to help.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

kermit

Quote from: almaink on May 22, 2008, 04:14:28 AM. My guess is if you already have a box and it dies, you could remove the PCI cards for the hasps and put them into a new box. But if you do and you have issues RAMpage support isn't going to help.
Why not? If this is NOT a hardware issue but rampage software issue? I understand they would not help to fix connectivity issues to the non rampage box, but they should fix ripping issue?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

almaink

Because their software is designed to run on their hardware. Not saying it won't work, just saying if you have issues they won't help if it's not running on one of their boxes.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

kermit

Quote from: almaink on May 28, 2008, 10:00:11 AMBecause their software is designed to run on their hardware. Not saying it won't work, just saying if you have issues they won't help if it's not running on one of their boxes.
There is no such thing as their box. The only thing that is theirs is their logo. Any other parts are made by intel (cpu), seagate (HD), and many other companies. Almost anyone can assemble couple of parts and make a pc. I used to do that too.

almaink

I don't get your problem there Kermit. RAMpage sells PC's to run their software, if you make your own to run their software you are on your own if any problems arise, at least thats what I've been told. Why don't you call RAMpage and get it from the horses mouth, as I sure don't want to argue about it. IMO paying for equipment and software is part of doing business.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Joe

I think most RIP manufacturers like to configure their own boxes with hardware they have tested their software on. I don't think it's just a Rampage thing. Nexus highly recommends their boxes and if you choose otherwise they will throw it back in your face when you need support. I'm not a 100% sure but they may not even sell you service contract if you use your own hardware.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Quote from: almaink on May 30, 2008, 08:27:07 AMI don't get your problem there Kermit.
I am not arguing. I am just saying that I can get faster box for half the money. Remember what the gallon of gas cost today and what state of economy we are in... Every cheap US dollar counts.

Lammy

I'm running 9.4 and have an RPD running on a non RAMpage box. The boxes are industry standard so the software should run on any box. however when we priced out a comparable box building it ourselves it turned out only a few dollar short of what a RAMpage supplied box was.

The thing to keep in mind is the motherboard RAMpage uses are Intel Sever boards. This makes a large performance difference as well as price. Depending on how old your box is you might want to look at just upgrading the components in it. Faster CPUs, more memory, add a raid, trunked network or gigabit networking. Typically you can about double the performance for about 1/2 the money of a new box.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Lammy

Just and FYI, my RAMpage shooter died. In a panic I tried to move the screener board over to the win XP pro box and no worky. Got a windows 2000 server box and it's humming along just fine. So it would seem, since my RPD works on XP pro, that if you have any hardware cards from RAMpage they need to run on NT 4 or Server 2000.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder