spot color and rampage....HELP!!

Started by determined, March 03, 2009, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

Any rampage users out there who have had to run a solid spot with a cheater spot plate underneath? How do you get your white type to spread back? I had this problem a couple months ago and the only solution I could find was to do the whole thing (spreadback and all) up front. I actually had to select the white type in pitstop copy it, put a stroke on it and send it to be on top of the cheater background. I then set the top layer (100% spot background with unstroked white type) to overprint. This worked for the time being but it seems to me that there MUST be a setting somewhere in the trap preferences that would do this automatically. So far the only time I've seen white type spreadback is when it's over a rich black background. Anything other than black and you're screwed (or so it seems to me). PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.  :huh:
Murphy must have been in printing....

almaink

Well an easy way to do it would be to just make up a rich black plate. A solid with say a 40% tint of cyan. This way a keepway is made in Rampage Trapit and you just run the spot PMS with these plates.

OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

determined

woulda done that but there was also process on the job....

almaink

Well I really can't see how you could do it then. Not like you can put a tint of a solid of the same PMS on in the same file. Seems like an odd thing to need to do anyway, not like you need to do it all the time I hope! You could set the tint plate up as a 5th color then select the white text and tell it to spread in Trapit. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it will work.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Skryber

Quote from: almaink on March 03, 2009, 01:48:47 PMWell an easy way to do it would be to just make up a rich black plate. A solid with say a 40% tint of cyan. This way a keepway is made in Rampage Trapit and you just run the spot PMS with these plates.

This is exactly what I do. Since there is process in the job, I would  delete everything in the file except what needs to be bumped and rip separately as 100k 50c. Of course this depends on the design and how it fits with the rest of the work. Do you have a screenshot we can see?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Quote from: almaink on March 03, 2009, 01:56:02 PMWell I really can't see how you could do it then. Not like you can put a tint of a solid of the same PMS on in the same file. Seems like an odd thing to need to do anyway, not like you need to do it all the time I hope! You could set the tint plate up as a 5th color then select the white text and tell it to spread in Trapit. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it will work.

This works for you??
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

almaink

Sure it works. Should work for you as well. I found this little trick fixing InDesign's Strokes with white gaps on a PMS fill's trapping issues.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Skryber

Quote from: almaink on March 03, 2009, 02:05:58 PMSure it works. Should work for you as well. I found this little trick fixing InDesign's Strokes with white gaps on a PMS fill's trapping issues.

I'll have to try that with v11. I didn't think it was possible to spread white, thinking since it's paper, there is nothing to spread. Haven't tried it since the upgrade, but it never worked for me before. I even have a hard time choking surrounding color on reverse type.

Stiv

Choke overprint in TrapIt, pull back the under color.

determined

I've never been able to spread white type....it defaults to knockout and if you try to do anything else, I've had it disappear!

determined

but the choke overprint sounds interesting, I'll have to try that...

determined

here's the pdf without my version of the spreadback (it had to be downsampled, but..)

the warm gray is the spot that needed the cheater under it...

almaink

No idea what version of Rampage you have but try converting the white text to outlines and then see if it works...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Stiv

Quote from: determined on March 03, 2009, 02:53:27 PMbut the choke overprint sounds interesting, I'll have to try that...

Set the color up as a spot, trap-edit the spot color to choke overprint, select the white type and set the spot to PB.

I think this will work. I'm a little scrambled right now.

LoganBlade

How about making a second Gray spot making it "Gray Bump" then make  a mixed color of both 100% of your true Gray and then what ever percent bump you want. I believe indesign can accomplish this. then the trapping should work the way it is supposed to. My suggestion...

gnubler has a field day with my typos
"dyslexics have more fnu"