Started by Tracy, August 29, 2011, 04:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I got a guy comin in to talk about Rampage
Any good questions I can ask?
I think Rampage uses the APPE?
and also Preps?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on August 29, 2011, 04:07:41 PMI got a guy comin in to talk about Rampage
and also Preps?

No, I don't believe it uses AdobePPE. I think Rampage has their own iteration of it. Sort of like RampagePPE. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yeah, 'Adobe compliant' was something that Fuji stressed when we were looking. Not to say that other PDF print Engines are no good, just that Adobe is the heavyweight.
If they do run their own inside, not sure how relevant the question 'How Adobe compliant is it?' would be. You may get a 'rep's answer' on that one.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Skryber

What are you using now, Tracy?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Tracy

Brisque - Seriously

I'm looking at Prinergy, Xitron
and now Rampage
I really want to go with the Prinergy
but I'm having to look at all options.

Tracy

Quote from: frailer on August 29, 2011, 04:37:59 PMYeah, 'Adobe compliant' was something that Fuji stressed when we were looking. Not to say that other PDF print Engines are no good, just that Adobe is the heavyweight.
If they do run their own inside, not sure how relevant the question 'How Adobe compliant is it?' would be. You may get a 'rep's answer' on that one.   :laugh:
yeah, one of my questions would be- what about when Adobe updates?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on August 29, 2011, 08:40:52 PM
Quote from: frailer on August 29, 2011, 04:37:59 PMYeah, 'Adobe compliant' was something that Fuji stressed when we were looking. Not to say that other PDF print Engines are no good, just that Adobe is the heavyweight.
yeah, one of my questions would be- what about when Adobe updates?

Kodak is not all that speedy updating APPE when Adobe updates it. You just have to wait for it to come down the pipe.

DigiCorn

Prinergy and Preps both being Kodak integrate well (I am sure). I have had some struggles with Rampage and Preps, but I do love Rampage because it's really all I know. I went from making poly plates with RIP IT to Scitex Brisque to Rampage, so I can't tell you if there is anything better.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Is it Paul who will be there? Say Hi and ask him to get on-board here at B4.

I like Rampage, used a few others but not Prinergy.

Will you be using JDF?
Soft proofing?
What proofing devices will you have hooked up?
How many seats will be using Rampage at the same time?

mwc

Quote from: Tracy on August 29, 2011, 04:07:41 PMI got a guy comin in to talk about Rampage
and also Preps?

Ask them what they do, what is the sole-focus of their company.
Ask them how large their customer base is, and what kind of customers they are? (small, large...sheetfed,web...).
Ask them how their support program works, and at what cost.
It will run preps or metrix or.....

DCurry

I've never used Rampage, but I have heard very good things about their support. I would be a little concerned about the fact that they don't use a true APPE. As complex as transparencies can be, I just prefer the idea that my rip uses a true Adobe engine.

I used an older version of Xitron, and didn't love it. Seemed clunky to me, but I'm sure it has improved over time. At my old shop I oversaw the switch from PSM/Brisque to a Prinergy setup and I was blown away. IMHO, Prinergy blows the doors off of everything I"ve ever used before or since. It's pricey and then of course you have to deal with Kodak (never had a problem with them, but others have had some issues), but it is really well thought out and it just seems to make sense. It is extremely flexible. Only got to use it for a year before I changed jobs.

Now I'm on Apogee. It's a solid choice as well, but I still would pick Prinergy given my druthers.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

t-pat

I'll chime in, Prinergy (Evo or Connect) hands down. I've used Crosfield, Xitron, Apogee, and a bunch of other old junk. Prinergy will keep you safe and warm at night. As Dcurry says, very flexible. Kodak support has been great for me at 2 different shops using Prinergy.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Tracy

thank you so much
I have more questions to ask!
I hope it is a cool guy named Paul who is coming :smiley:

I'm hoping for Prinergy
I think the only way I will get it
is if anything else is too costly to hook up
to the trendsetter

thanks guys!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on August 30, 2011, 01:35:16 PMthank you so much
I have more questions to ask!
I hope it is a cool guy named Paul who is coming :smiley:

I'm hoping for Prinergy
I think the only way I will get it
is if anything else is too costly to hook up
to the trendsetter

thanks guys!

Nothing will cost more than Prinergy. LOL

t-pat

the shop I am at has allegedly at least quadrupled the amount of work we're able to do without additional operators since getting Prinergy. Sell it as a payroll saver.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait