A whole CMS proofing forum and no Black point compensation

Started by Lukas, July 11, 2008, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas

A whole discussion about CMS, though most of it seemed to deal with proofers, and not a mention of Black Point Compensation, or Device links. Are those things in other parts of the forum... still finding my way around. Would have though the CMM used, rendering intent and if BCP is enabled would be basic parameters before comparing CMM output.

David

do you need some help or are you just making a statement?

If there is no topic on the points you are referring to, then it's probably due to the fact that it hasn't been an issue for anyone.

yet.

Cheers,
David

PS. Welcome to the B4P forums

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Domo arigato Mr Roboto! Welcome to the forum Lukas. Please elaborate, we love to discuss stuff like this. Hey Dave, mix up a Dave-arita for Lukas, make it a double, on me.  :grin:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

here you go, one for the new guy and one double for you!

cheers!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

*hic* wheeee.... the bartender's mixing em STRONG on a friday!  :tongue:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

well, I got some bulk tequila on sale, so I thought I would pass the savings on to you guys!

every little bit helps, especially in hard times!
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

You're right big D, sorry, had to get primed.

As far as Black Point Compensation and color management in general; It is a wonderful concept and Ii have seen it used successfully but a lot of the time it just isn't practical. It does have it's place. If you're working in a very hi end shop, dealing with professional design firms and your shop has a good handle on things like fingerprinting presses on a regular basis then it would work. However, if you use a profile of any sort and it doesn't match the equipment you're printing on, it may end up worse than not messing with it at all. You have to maintain a very tight, closed system from designer to press and all stages in between for it to work right.

David

here's a good read on BPC and it's worth.

http://www.newsandtech.com/issues/2004/05-04/pt/05-04_blackpoint.htm

here's humorous quote from the above article

QuoteUsing black point compensation when converting images using ICC profiles will result in one of three possibilities: the resulting image will be improved, the resulting image will not be changed, or the resulting image will be unacceptable.  And, of course, it is difficult to know up front which result to expect.
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: david on July 11, 2008, 11:28:14 AMhere's a good read on BPC and it's worth.

http://www.newsandtech.com/issues/2004/05-04/pt/05-04_blackpoint.htm

here's humorous quote from the above article

QuoteUsing black point compensation when converting images using ICC profiles will result in one of three possibilities: the resulting image will be improved, the resulting image will not be changed, or the resulting image will be unacceptable.  And, of course, it is difficult to know up front which result to expect.
Humorous for sure, it's like giving a file a 50 / 50 chance: "It will either work out or it won't" :death:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good stuff David... or like saying, she'd be cute if it wasn't for her face!

David

kinda like where you work, ehh?

oh sorry, that's what it's like where I work!

LOL

don't sweat much for a fat girl?!
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: david on July 11, 2008, 01:45:41 PMkinda like where you work, ehh?

oh sorry, that's what it's like where I work!

LOL

don't sweat much for a fat girl?!

- looks over shoulder - maybe you DO work here.  :laugh: mooseknuckle

Lukas

The article was a really wierd one, I mean the whole Idea of going back and forth between colour spaces like that, and anyway BPC doesn't work when using perceptual intent (the screen dumps were mainly showing BPC and perceptual rendering :blowup:). I would never use BPC for proofing either as on a proof I want to simulate the printed result and so I would want Absolute rendering anyway. So the article seems more like a joke, cept it was too booring.

As I understand Black point it is to be able to get all the advantages of Relative conversion, but still compensate for the dynamic range of the output device in much a similar way to perceptual rendering.

The reason I brought it up has to do with the PDF print engine, and moving to PDFx4 workflows. An image proofed without BPC ana them printed with BPC would look quite different from proof to print, the same goes the other way.

Incedentally be interesting to know if you are using the APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine)