Identity-H font problem

Started by frailer, September 14, 2007, 12:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Got caught after sending an imposed PDF to the RIP, after doing a type fix. The original file to the RIP was a PostScript from PREPS 5.2.1. [am going to 5.3 in next few days]. There was no problem with that file. It turns out the hot folder PDF which we generate to view file, but also to send to RIP sometimes, had the error, which, of course, went unnoticed. It was in a supplied ad. At this stage can't track its pedigree. Hot folder is Distiller 6. Feel like an idiot because will now of course upgrade Acrobat on that machine. BTW Distiller 7 distilled without the error. There was some possible problem with then being able to edit it in PSP; another issue which I haven't revisited yet.
The problem was that the Cap 'A's in a few wods of type dropped out on the imposed PDF. Reprint. Ouch!
Any thoughts on preventing/dealing with this appreciated.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Man, even in PDF's fonts suck don't they?

Since it worked with Distiller 7 and not 6 I'd carefully compare the job options each one used. See if there are any differences.

This is also why I like to stay within one version of the most recent on all applications. Acrobat 6 doesn't meet this criteria.

Not much help I can offer other than...proof those jobs after imposing and check them closely.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yeah to all of the above. You're right about the "not more than 1 version away" thing, of course. You can get complacent cos something's rolling along OK. Given Acro8's been out a while, not wise to have 6 sitting as a potential RIP trip...Shall get it upgraded next week. Identity-H fonts rate a mention over in Adobe forums, too, so suspect they're wanted in several states. But these f#@* ups are a failure of a checking system, ultimately. So easy to by-pass, but shouldn't be. Don't think anyone survives in prepress without copping it now and again...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.