Here we go again

Started by G_Town, June 16, 2011, 09:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

OK the pressroom periodically prints long or short front to back. We know this but what are ya going to do.

Diecutting manager goes out to lunch with a new die vendor and is told they put a distortion on every die they make.

Die cutting manager comes to me and asks me if we distort our plates to which I reply no, never have in sheetfed that would just be adding another variable to try and fix a press issue that should be addressed at the press.

From the look on his face he aint giving up on this idea (this is the same guy who wanted me to make him vinyl for a back print until I showed him he could just flip over the vinyl he already had) :banghead:

Aside from the argument that's a press issue what other shit should I fling at him since I know he's going to go to the OP's manager with this.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on June 16, 2011, 09:46:52 AMDistort how?

Around the cylinder to compensate for growth on press, we do it with our coating blankets but that's because of the cylinder size, I've NEVER had to do it on a printing unit.

Joe

Are you having register problems?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

if it's your sheetfed press, can't they change the print length? When we do die cuts here, we lay the die vinyl over the sheet, make sure they aren't printing long/short, just for that one reason.
When we do Lenticular, we will sometimes use VMR (variable mechanical resolution) on the Lotem to get the file to fit to the lens, and that will distort the sheet, but that's the only time.
Well, I take that back, sometimes when we print on plastics (that are not lentic), we will get either bad sheet fanning or some stretch as it goes through the press, so we will distort individual colors to fit.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

we're special      :tongue:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

No wonder you drink so much.

All I do is push buttons & stuff.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

yeah, we even go so far as to move images out of register so the press room can get them in register.
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

now I'm working on web storefront pages, where's my drink? or two.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Chilbear

I know rotary print use to be scaled in one direction but never litho. The die maker should never alter the size of the die either - they need to match what is supplied. Just my 2 cents... I have already had to wipe the S from the fan and never going there again.

G_Town

G_Town

Quote from: david on June 16, 2011, 10:35:38 AMif it's your sheetfed press, can't they change the print length? When we do die cuts here, we lay the die vinyl over the sheet, make sure they aren't printing long/short, just for that one reason.
When we do Lenticular, we will sometimes use VMR (variable mechanical resolution) on the Lotem to get the file to fit to the lens, and that will distort the sheet, but that's the only time.
Well, I take that back, sometimes when we print on plastics (that are not lentic), we will get either bad sheet fanning or some stretch as it goes through the press, so we will distort individual colors to fit.

They are under packed or over packed or something because it's not every job and typically only shows when we have tight tolerances like stamping or embossing, hell I can't even get them to check their gripper, sometimes it's 1/16 long or short.

Thing is I don't want to change my whole process cause this dimwit thinks he has found an answer.

And David I've done Lenticular as well, got my Blue Hawaii Elvis poster looking down at me from my wall. We printed a 4 poster set Hawaii, 50's, 60's and 70's Elvis, they are awesome.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

I've seen this movie, a few times. It always ends the same way.  :deadhorse:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on June 16, 2011, 02:37:46 PM
Quote from: G_Town on June 16, 2011, 01:38:24 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 16, 2011, 10:15:38 AMAre you having register problems?

Nope.

Then why change anything?

Because the die cutter manager is a nimrod and thinks distorting the sheet will solve all his problems.

I'm not sure where he came from (been here about month less than me) but I don't think he has much experience in sheetfed offset.

Another one of his displays of genius was the day he came to me saying his die cutting was way off from the printing, so I check the one up, the layout and everything checks out, so I go look at the sheet to the vinyl and it is dead on. I explain to him that everything looks good on my end do you maybe have the wrong die and he replys " do you think they have the press over packed".?

Freaking clueless.