Need to add page number to odds but not skip numbers

Started by DCurry, April 21, 2020, 02:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

We periodically get a mailing job that is already has all the addresses merged so it doesn't run through our variable data software. The problem is we want a record number to print somewhere on the page. I thought maybe using Add Page Numbers would work and it would work if this was a one-sided document, but it is 2-sided so all the even pages are the backs of the preceding odd page.
That means that if I add page numbers, page 3 of the PDF is really record #2 but it puts a 3 on it because it is the third page in the document. I want to the 3rd page to say 2, the 5th page to say 3, etc.
The only way I can see doing this in Pitstop is to first delete all the even pages, add the page numbers to the remaining pages, then somehow bring the deleted pages back (I know a couple methods to bring them back so I'm not worried about figuring that part out.)
I was just hoping there might be an easier way without deleting any pages? (Pitstop 13.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Haven't tried it but have you tried just running the action on just the odd numbered pages or is Pitstop to smart to fall for that?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

probably no help but if you dropped your job in indesign as a multi page job you can re-arrange the pages - then run a script to add page numbers. might need a bit of picking about with though

:drunk3:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DCurry

Joe - that doesn't work because Pitstop looks at the page position in the document to determine what number it adds.

Beer - that's a creative solution but I'm trying to keep it as 1-stop-shopping as possible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pspdfppdfxhd

I do this all the time but we have Quite Imposing. A nice addition to your pdf toolbox.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on April 22, 2020, 07:17:52 AM
Joe - that doesn't work because Pitstop looks at the page position in the document to determine what number it adds.

I figured Pitstop was too smart for that.

DCurry

zox

pspdfppdfxhd is right, Quite had this option forever and is easy to use.

However, new action in Pistop 2020 "Overlay PDF" might be solution for you.
It is bit of a longer way than Quite but still doable.
You would create separate PDF with numbers 1-... and use Overlay PDF on ODD pages.
It works like charm

DigiCorn

I know I am late to the party, but since you're already doing a merge, add another field and number it 1~whatever, and then create an extra spot for the page number.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

I'm not already doing a merge - the file is coming to me merged by the client.

I like zox's idea for when I eventually upgrade in a couple years.

Joe

You could try a free trial of Pitstop 2020 to show your bosses that you need it now.

DCurry

Ain't nobody spending any money right now! We're still open and I'm not gonna rock that boat. And actually, my bosses are good about buying us what we need so if it was a real issue we'd get it when things go back to quasi-normal.

In truth, I don't really care if I find a good way to do this little trick or not - the mail guy is bitching about it but last week when he was out we ran the job and the other guy had no problem at all. It's not even presorted so if someone drops the load and it gets out of order it doesn't matter at all.  I was just tinkering in case it comes up again.

born2print

Forgive me if this is stupid, but what about extract even pages, then numbering action, then put even pages back-in??
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

DCurry

Quote from: DCurry on April 21, 2020, 02:43:46 PM
The only way I can see doing this in Pitstop is to first delete all the even pages, add the page numbers to the remaining pages, then somehow bring the deleted pages back (I know a couple methods to bring them back so I'm not worried about figuring that part out.)

delooch

How often do you need to do this? how many records in a job? is the data sensitive?

I may have a solution, it's a bit of a path but it will do what you are asking