News:

Main Menu

New Trace Feature

Started by Slappy, May 10, 2020, 04:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

So I got a project in here end of the week that seems perfect for the Trace function in PS 2020. Seems perfect. It's 150 headshots, all output at about 12x18" and then diecut. We're outsourcing the cutting as our plotter is on the fritz.

Problem is, the pics are SO low-res once they're enlarged to the target size of 12x18 that the Trace outline ends up jaggy as hell. I've tried tweaking the settings in Pitstop to smooth out the paths but nothing really makes a difference. The only thing that makes the path acceptable is a manual Smooth in Illustrator, and I really don't wanna do 150 files by hand.

Attaching a Pitstop version & the "ideal" PDF that was manually Smoothed in Illustrator for reference.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

delooch

is there a way to add the PS "refine selection" command before the trace?

I do this alot in Illustrator for converting crappy rasters into crappy vectors. One of the forbidden things i do is resample the file to 300 dpi. Of course it doesnt do anything to the image quality, but it does give you a smoother tracing path from the Illustrator tracing feature.

Slappy

Well, I got over the need for a smoother dieline file. We're using a different vendor!  :banana:

They actually have a CAD-based laser device, so it will cut EXACTLY the shape I give it for every image, flaws & all which is fine. They're also almost $4 PER pic cheaper than the other place so we'll make up some of the lost money it's taken to get all these things prepped too.

Downside is I have to resize all of the photos a little, they ned more gripper than I'd originally planned. Booooo.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

abc

Hi Slappy, can you send me the original objects you traced.
Something for the development team to play with for a future version.

Slappy

Definitely! I'll actually write-up a whole "How we did it" soon - the job's going to the laser die-cutter tomorrow (I'm taking it) and I ope to get some vids of the process too.

I wish the pics were prettier but oh well.