Upgrading/Replacing the Server

Started by Slappy, August 19, 2023, 01:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Our XMF Server is 6+ years old, and the OS of course is also that old. Wondering for the sake of security (mostly our IT folks pushing that line) and stability/longevity has anybody put together a new RIP?

I suppose I should reach out to XMF Support, now that we're legit again, and get specs for what we'd need. When we bought it, of course they supplied the hardware but there's no reason I can think of why I couldn't order a pre-built machine & reinstall the RIP ourselves.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

johnny_jay

With XMF is it possible to run virtualized? With Kodak Prinergy and InSite we have done this and it is great. With Kodak we had to have support for the disk image but our IT Team loves it.

John
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Tracy

I think fuji uses Proactive Technologies for their Servers, those people are awesome to work with
they may do it for you, I was out of warranty and they totally helped me with an issue
I was having, they remoted in and totally helped!

David

I have gotten just about all of my servers from Proactive.
Top notch people, very helpful and they know their shit.

8)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

RMPrepress

It is all going virtual for sure.
Kodak is pushing the VM's and now our MIS system, EPS Pace, is no longer providing hardware with the release of Pace v35 last month.
Im quite certain Fuji is going to want a hand in setting up a new server or else you will own it...meaning support may be cut off.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Slappy

Quote from: RMPrepress on August 23, 2023, 09:59:25 AMI'm quite certain Fuji is going to want a hand in setting up a new server or else you will own it...meaning support may be cut off.
My understanding was, the server has always been "owned" by the end-user – they didn't provide support at all except for the software. That's why I'm thinking I might as well spec/build the new one ourselves. I'll put a call into Fuji Support though & report back.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

It was my understanding that they would buy it for you (with a mark-up) or you could buy one as long as it met the specs they required.

We bought all of our servers and then they would do the install.

Your paying for software support, not the Server machine support, that would come from whoever you buy the server from.

YMMV
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

We tried to buy our own servers for Prinergy once and Kodak said NO. Had to buy from them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

coulda swore Williamson bought their own. They did make us buy the primary and secondary servers along with some other crap. I can't remember, it was a very long time ago. I could be wrong.

did I mention that as of this month I've been printing now 50 years...  I have forgotten sooooo much.

:o
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

We only had a Prinergy primary and an Insite primary which is what they said we had to get through them. We did have a Prinergy tertiary server we got on our own and set it up ourselves.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

see, I forgot about the stupid tertiary.

:-[

I know it was a whole rack of stuff, lot's of blinky lights.

When Quad took over, they replaced it all with a really nice VM.
In one rack, it took up maybe less than 2 foot of space.
When I left, they only had 4 racks left, 3 of those were switches and patch panels.
Livin' la Vida Loca