News:

Main Menu

resume

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, August 07, 2014, 03:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Word of mouth and reputation is all I've ever had to do. OKC is rurally a large area, but the printing field is pretty close-knit. The Prepress guys out here play musical chairs about every 2-5 years. The guy I work with now, this is my third time working with him at different companies.

When we 86d the Blood-Sausage here, I needed a good output guy, I heard through the grapevine that my now co-worker was available, so I called him up and hired him on the phone. I got hired on here pretty much the same way.

I interviewed about 6 months before, never filled out an app or submitted a resumé. We couldn't come to terms on pay. The PM said he'd keep me in mind. I told him it would have to be a sweet deal, I wouldn't leave the company I was at for the same pay. After 6 months, he called begging me to come and work and I gave him ridiculous terms, all of which he honored.

Again, no application or resumé. I've gotten the last 3 or 4 jobs that way. If you're good at your job, word of mouth and the interview will reflect that. Be confident, tell them how it is and don't be afraid of tooting your own horn... BUT, be willing and able to back it up.

I think a lot of employers are sick of being fooled into believing you are qualified for the job, and then are not. When I used to do interviews, I was surprised at just how many Prepress guys came in and said they could this and that. When the physical test came, none of these guys knew anything about it, I just popped them with it... stress is another VERY important aspect of the job. I watched guys that were in the business and were THE guy at their previous shop poke and fiddle and some even walk out. None of them could complete it and it wasn't hard... for a Prepress guy.

You gotta back that shit up!

Now, it's always worked for me. It may be different where you are.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

I actually forgot this until you said,
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 08, 2014, 10:18:18 AMWord of mouth and reputation is all I've ever had to do. OKC is rurally a large area, but the printing field is pretty close-knit.

Pretty much every print shop around here uses Agfa-Pitman for supplies. I met the area rep, "Murph," at the now defunct Graphic Center print shop that moved me up to the Sac area. When I answered the Craigslist ad for my current job almost 7 years ago, the owner here asked if I knew Murphy. I told him I did, and he asked if it'd be okay if he asked Murphy about me, and of course I said, "yes."

Next time I saw Murphy at my old shop, he asked me about it. I told him I had feelers out for something new, and if I could trust him not to say anything to my current bosses. He kept mum, and I got hired over here.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

My old boss from the service bureau days is the current gossip-keeper in town. I go to him for all the bullshit. He is very well informed and very respected.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

The heavier stock is a good idea and it will show you know crap from good. Being a little different is good but don't go too far. That can end up biting you in the ass. Like design things are subjective. You may think you have the best resume in the world but if the person reviewing it doesn't like it, into the circular file it goes.

Bosses like when you show drive but don't like someone that thinks too far out of the box. They don't need to be babysitters.

During the divorce of my brother and his partner there was some shit talked about me. How I wasn't easy to work with (coming from him is the definition of the pot and the kettle) and I made others uncomfortable. I worked with one other person who I knew personally before she was hired. Supposedly it was coming from her but I guarantee it was from my brother's partner and using her as a scapegoat. To this day I still get emails when she's stuck on a file and when she needs car/tech advice. I still get xmas and Bday presents from her.

You have to be confident in your work. If you don't know how to do something you have to be willing to learn. I'd bet that I'd fail some of the tests you guys would put in front of me. I would learn how to do it though and keep progressing. I don't have anyone to bounce off here. That's part of the reason I post here. What I don't know I will learn.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Farabomb on August 08, 2014, 11:09:42 AMThe heavier stock is a good idea and it will show you know crap from good. Being a little different is good but don't go too far. That can end up biting you in the ass. Like design things are subjective. You may think you have the best resume in the world but if the person reviewing it doesn't like it, into the circular file it goes.

Bosses like when you show drive but don't like someone that thinks too far out of the box. They don't need to be babysitters.

During the divorce of my brother and his partner there was some shit talked about me. How I wasn't easy to work with (coming from him is the definition of the pot and the kettle) and I made others uncomfortable. I worked with one other person who I knew personally before she was hired. Supposedly it was coming from her but I guarantee it was from my brother's partner and using her as a scapegoat. To this day I still get emails when she's stuck on a file and when she needs car/tech advice. I still get xmas and Bday presents from her.

You have to be confident in your work. If you don't know how to do something you have to be willing to learn. I'd bet that I'd fail some of the tests you guys would put in front of me. I would learn how to do it though and keep progressing. I don't have anyone to bounce off here. That's part of the reason I post here. What I don't know I will learn.

I have a reputation for being an asshole. I am good at my job, but difficult to work with. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. When I am questioned about this, I have one stock answer... "I'm here to work and do my job and save the company money, making friends is not part of that equation." Employers seem to like that answer.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 08, 2014, 11:31:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on August 08, 2014, 11:09:42 AMThe heavier stock is a good idea and it will show you know crap from good. Being a little different is good but don't go too far. That can end up biting you in the ass. Like design things are subjective. You may think you have the best resume in the world but if the person reviewing it doesn't like it, into the circular file it goes.

I have a reputation for being an asshole. I am good at my job, but difficult to work with. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. When I am questioned about this, I have one stock answer... "I'm here to work and do my job and save the company money, making friends is not part of that equation." Employers seem to like that answer.
It's like you guys are talking about me. I hear those same things all the time too. My stock answer is, "if you don't like it, then go find two guys to replace me."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

If I see you costing the company money you will hear it from me first. If you continue after I say something you will hear it from management.

I'm ok with having fun at work... after all the work is done. I fuck around but only when my rack is clear.

Working for family is normally not to my benefit. I get leaned on hard but I also take you affecting the company personally.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job