wide format proofers

Started by DigiCorn, July 02, 2013, 10:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

bye bye Epson S70670.

It's basically official - it's going away. We spoke to some other shops using it, and everyone has issues and one other shop is sending theirs back too. Support tried to help, but since no one knew anything (except Rob Simpson), support was useless.

Looking at getting a Mutoh or Mimaki possibly. I'd like to hear what you have, and your experiences (pros and cons).

Also, what's driving it? We have EFI Colorproof XF and I think we have to send Onyx back with the proofer, but I didn't like Onyx anyway. Are you using GMG? Oris? other? and why?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

must be a real dud if it's just going away!

I've used FlexiSign and liked it, very feature rich and has a pretty cool design interface. Best upscaling of low res crap I ever saw, and very powerful type tools.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on July 02, 2013, 10:38:57 AMmust be a real dud if it's just going away!

I've used FlexiSign and liked it, very feature rich and has a pretty cool design interface. Best upscaling of low res crap I ever saw, and very powerful type tools.
Making calls to find out the cost and support on XF, but not opposed to using something new if it's not cost prohibitive. I forgot about FlexiSign. I remember it looked a lot like Inspire. What devices (size) were you driving?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 02, 2013, 10:49:16 AM
Quote from: t-pat on July 02, 2013, 10:38:57 AMmust be a real dud if it's just going away!

Making calls to find out the cost and support on XF, but not opposed to using something new if it's not cost prohibitive. I forgot about FlexiSign. I remember it looked a lot like Inspire. What devices (size) were you driving?

50" Encad, 72" Encad. Some shit like that, it was old crap that liked to break down and waste my time, 10 years ago, and I was drunk most days. Only thing good about the setup was the uh, "demo" version of Flexi.
vdp donkey

gnubler

I think we have an old Encad with tons of roll media if anyone's interested.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Foozball

Quote from: gnubler on July 02, 2013, 06:26:42 PMI think we have an old Encad with tons of roll media if anyone's interested.
I could be interested...
Is it's output "reasonable" on coated stock?
{poker face}
 :dev2:

DigiCorn

does it work and/or come with free shipping?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

also, for anyone upgrading to Fiery XF, this is important:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 08, 2013, 09:52:11 AMdoes it work and/or come with free shipping?

Here's what I got so far...

QuoteEncad 880
Can print on rigid stock, 8*4. Has a wide variety of stock from film to canvas.
Has inkwells that can be filled on the fly for uninterrupted printing.

We've moved a bunch of unused equip into an empty room. I can tell you for a fact there's a shit-ton of media because I've moved it all, roll by roll. Lots of it is new in Kodak boxes. There are 2 Encads, I will have to check the model of the 2nd one. If anyone has more interest I can take pics this week. You will have to speak with the owner about cost & shipping. Located in Northern New Mexico.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

You didn't fully answer my question - does it work?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Work schmerk.  :whip:

I was told they both work. Other than acquiring a Roland a few years ago, I don't know the reason they were put into storage. I'll find out. If you're still interested I'll power them up and fully test.

DigiCorn

I'm gonna run it by the boss. He always gets free shit... and then puts it in the center of the room, where it sits for months until he tells me to put it on ebay or craig's list.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

you'll be sorry.

I could tell you a long sad story of 2 encads that arrived on my shop floor for "free" - they actually belonged to a friend and customer. "Free" meant that I had to repair and maintain these shitpiles he bought on fleabay. I spent a lot of time washing rainbows off my hands and wasting expensive media.
vdp donkey

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 10, 2013, 08:54:30 AMI'm gonna run it by the boss. He always gets free shit... and then puts it in the center of the room, where it sits for months until he tells me to put it on ebay or craig's list.

I don't think I ever stated it was free. It might be eventually once my boss realizes dinosaur equipment is pretty much worthless, but I presume some sort of cash sale is desired. My prediction is all this stuff will end up at the dump someday.

We'll probably have better luck using a broker to sell old crap to Mexico or India. That's where a beloved Docucolor 250 ended up a couple years ago.

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on July 10, 2013, 09:23:35 AMyou'll be sorry.

I could tell you a long sad story of 2 encads that arrived on my shop floor for "free" - they actually belonged to a friend and customer. "Free" meant that I had to repair and maintain these shitpiles he bought on fleabay. I spent a lot of time washing rainbows off my hands and wasting expensive media.

Ya, reminds me of my ex who acquired "free" kitchen appliances, where they sat in a spare bedroom untouched for months until I finally re-craigslisted them. There may be the rare jackpot find, but for the most part old equipment is just shit.