Moving applications from one cpu to another

Started by ninjaPB_43, November 16, 2007, 06:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

...not sure where to put this..   Maybe under Enfocus?  but more of a general question..

with that said, and without digging through the "fine print" in the EULA..   

My inquiry: What is the legal stipulations for moving an application from one cpu to another..

The specific scenario: I want to move Acro 7 and PSP 6.5 to my new iMac, because I am not feeling the Acro 8, nor are we upgrading to PSP 7 yet.  But I hate to keep using my PPC G5 for preflight, just to then move everything across the network so I can use INDD CS3 for layout. 

So, is it legal to remove the programs from the PPC and install them on the iMac, giving me what I need on one box?  I would still just be at ONE seat, which is what I'm licensed for..

Thanks for your advice and help..

:ninja:

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

beermonster

well from where i sit on this yes it's ok - but you must remove the other version from the other machine - otherwise that would be ...like...copying....very bad.

mind you - someone back in ppf days went into discussion about installing the same version on multiple machines, and according to some instances the EULA was fine with this - and the software would run and install fine as well.

you might have to go through a "re-registration" process and contact the wonderful software folks who will no doubt enquire as to why, exactly, you wanna do this and they give you a new activation code - i think quack do this - so good luck.

so i think its ok to do it, but, its not copying/moving - its reinstalling for a hardware upgrade. they'll like that.

but i could be wrong.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ninjaPB_43

thanks beer, that's what I think too..   didnt want to dig through PPF this morning I figured it was there somewhere in some form..

I'd like to also hear other opinions or experiences on this.. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

kermit

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 16, 2007, 07:05:10 AMthanks beer, that's what I think too..   didnt want to dig through PPF this morning I figured it was there somewhere in some form..

Adobe (and Quark) license policy allows to to install/activate the same software on two machines as long as you don't use them at the same time. They don't need to be desktop and laptop, they can be 2 desktops. I am not sure about Enfocus software.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

David

you can use the migration assistant to get it over to the new mac and then you'll still need to re-activate (maybe a phone call or if you're lucky, you can activate it over the internet).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

oh David-my hero, where were you three weeks ago... :D   I didnt know about migration assistant.  :-[  :'(    man, I really could have used that..   too late now, I've already moved most of everything(manually), except applications..

I think I will use it to move Acro 7 and PSP 6.5, whether I take it back off the PPC or not is still up in the air..

Sparky

Quote from: kermit on November 16, 2007, 07:19:24 AM
Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 16, 2007, 07:05:10 AMthanks beer, that's what I think too..   didn't want to dig through PPF this morning I figured it was there somewhere in some form..

Adobe (and Quark) license policy allows to to install/activate the same software on two machines as long as you don't use them at the same time. They don't need to be desktop and laptop, they can be 2 desktops. I am not sure about Enfocus software.

Kermit actually Adobe (single license issue) can be installed and registered on 3 machines and they can run at the same time. I had CS2 on both G4 Macs at work and brought it home and installed it, (and registered it legally). Not sure about Quark but we could never get it to install on more than 2 machines, at least 6.0 and 6.5.

Also under the HELP menu there is a selection to transfer activation in the CS apps, I haven't tried it yet, from my G4 to my new iMac, and since it was installed and registered while I was at my last job I may not be able to move it anywhere. I'm buying the CS3 Design Premium today after work, and will play with it all weekend. < should read "work with it..." ::)
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

ninjaPB_43

The migration assistant only uses firewire?   :'(

I will not be able to do THAT..  I think I might cry, I was SO excited..   

Sparky, 3 machines on a single license?  really?..  legally?..    not, that I dont believe you because I do, but know where that is in the EULA, or have a link to info about it on adobe's site?...   no rush, and I'll look myself too when I get some extra time in just a little bit..

David

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 16, 2007, 09:05:51 AMThe migration assistant only uses firewire?   :'(

yeah, forgot to mention that.
you don't have one laying around?
you should get one, they come in real handy.
I have one 6 footer here that I use for emergencies (like transferring from one mac to another in target disk mode when I got one broke down).

comes in reeeeeaal handy.

8)

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: david on November 16, 2007, 10:42:16 AM
Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 16, 2007, 09:05:51 AMThe migration assistant only uses firewire?   :'(

yeah, forgot to mention that.
you don't have one laying around?
you should get one, they come in real handy.
I have one 6 footer here that I use for emergencies (like transferring from one mac to another in target disk mode when I got one broke down).

comes in reeeeeaal handy.

8)

I have 2!!  but they're at the house..   :(   didnt want to wait until Monday..  but I am anyway..   :D

Joe

You can put Pitstop on both machines but they will sniff each other out over the network and neither will run if it finds the other one running. You'll tire of this soon if you are wanting to run it on both at the same time. To remove it just right click the Acrobat application icon and select "Show Package Contents" and then remove the Enfocus folder out of the Plug-ins folder. Deleting it from one and moving it to another machine is 100% legal.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

Quote from: NinjaPB_43 on November 16, 2007, 09:05:51 AMSparky, 3 machines on a single license?  really?..  legally?..    not, that I dont believe you because I do, but know where that is in the EULA, or have a link to info about it on adobe's site?...   no rush, and I'll look myself too when I get some extra time in just a little bit..

Yes 3, count em 3!!  I was a member of the Adobe Partners program ASN and received our software (both platforms PC + Mac) at work. I installed CS2 on 2 different Macs and was able to use Acrobat, or Indesign, or Photoshop, etc. on both machines at the same time. I then asked the owner if I could take it home and install it on my G4, and got his blessing so I might do some work from home. My boss installed CS2 on his office PC and I installed it on the CSR's PC and my Dell PC workstation, all of which are on the same office LAN. It wasn't until I tried to put it on a fourth PC at work and called Adobe to ask about multi licensing that I found out from them (and they will deny they say this) that you can legally install the software on 3 different machines. 8)

Using the same serial number and the same registration information I registered all 6 total installations on line and was activated with no problems. 8)

Joe

Using the CS3 software supplied by Adobe for the ASN program it will let me install it on as many computers as I want to...but it will only activate 2 copies.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

I really can't say anymore Joe, I'm no longer with (company name withheld to protect the a**$oles that work there) so I don't have access to the original software. I caved and put out for the CS3 Design Premium out of my own pocket at the Apple Store. I did find it on line for $850 but I also read several reviews of these "discount" places and figured $900 was a bit much to trust to shady companies. CDW would only discount it $100 so I figured I'd be safe and pay the full pop and have it "in hand"  :(

New iMac 2.8ghz 500gb HD, 2gb RAM + 1Tb LaCie back-up drive + Adobe CS3 = One damn Happy camper 8) ;D

ninjaPB_43

great!!  Thanks for all the info Sparky..  I too am in ASN and got my copies of CS3 for Mac and PC through that.

:)