Passing Information-Anyone dealing with LARGE companies.

Started by Zimmy3, December 04, 2007, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimmy3

How does one get correct information from these large companies?

Such as....
I have a package,which was printed last year.
This year,it comes back with a change(let's say) a new UPC code and a spec number change.

I am NOT getting this info,I have to compare the old and new file to see what the changes are.
This is very time consuming and let's say I miss a change,guess who's fault it is?

Anyone else dealing with this issue?

Because it feels good !

David

we know it has to be your fault...

we try to get all we can here through the usual channels (CSR calls Sales, Sales calls client who then calls Art Director who then calls page layout lackey/s) and as the info comes back to us, it's been "translated" so many times, you still don't know.
You're doing the same thing we usually end up doing, taking the printed sample of the old and comparing it to the new. Reading each and every page to find any differences.

Because they're a "big client", we have to go the extra mile to keep them happy.

cheers and good luck,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

jezza

one sick prepress mofo

G_Town

We never get told whats changing.

So what I do is import the new graphics into artpro and drop it over the top of the old and see whats changed.

I put the new on a seperate layer and do a select all,  that way the new copy is highlited while the old is not and check it out in wireframe/preview mode.

Its pretty easy to see what has changed, it would be nice if they told us but like david said they are big so we suck it up.

mwc

Quote from: G_Town on December 04, 2007, 10:27:34 AMSo what I do is import the new graphics into artpro and drop it over the top of the old and see whats changed.

Ever use the COMPARE function in Acrobat Pro?... VERY, VERY SLICK

born2print

We (try) stick to our guns and make parties upstream responsible for providing the info, FFS!
..."yeah, I want more folders, and there's a change, but I'm not gonna tell you what it is and if you interpret it wrong it's your plant's spoilage"
don't think so buddy, you better get someone on the phone!  >:(
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

G_Town

Quote from: mwc on December 04, 2007, 11:40:21 AM
Quote from: G_Town on December 04, 2007, 10:27:34 AMSo what I do is import the new graphics into artpro and drop it over the top of the old and see whats changed.

Ever use the COMPARE function in Acrobat Pro?... VERY, VERY SLICK

Nope, is that new in 3 or has it been there a while?

I'll have to check it out.

mwc

Been there at least since Acrobat 6.
Open 2 PDF's that are supposed to be same/similar....then....document>compare....brilliant i tell ya!  (many options to flag why is same/different)

mwc

Of course...not to keep consistent with anything....it moved under the ADVANCED menu in Acro 8....(just found out)

jezza

For Photoshop changes 'Apply Image' can't be beat. Or just a lay a tiff of the old file over the 'new' psd
one sick prepress mofo

mark_jetzer

Welcome to my life on the inside.  I work in one of these very large companies.  We have Affiliates in something like 75 countries, 5000+ employees just at the main complex.  The printing is just a small little Value-Add to the company, mostly packaging.  I think our "sales" were 25 million for printing last year, out of the 6 billion the company did.  It amazes me when I call someone for information, how many say, "We have a printing department?"

beermonster

well we have the same issues year after year here too

its dealt with by csr - if they are re-supplying say a new carton - the question is asked - is it new or a reprint? when they are told of the costs involved in new - they usually let us know - and new means from scratch.

on the odd occasion ( i have one here now as it happens) there's just been an ammendment to the black plate and we can simply make the change to the black - limiting costs - but either way we always PROOF changes / new versions to safeguard ourselves.

we mostly get originating files so unless we pdf out we dont use the acrobat compare thingyy
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beck

Unless the job is a real bi+ch (trapping, effects, stuff like that), we'll just start the job over from scratch.  That way there is zero chance that we'll miss something in the revising.

It's usually quicker doing that than waiting for an answer.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Sparky

Quote from: jezza  link=topic=649.msg7768#msg7768 date=1196784957
Quote from: Zimmy3 on December 04, 2007, 09:41:45 AMAnyone else dealing with this issue?

All day every day

Ditto
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"