Time Machine and OS Install

Started by Tracy, November 26, 2018, 09:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Did that, I think there are some pretty big steps to use the NAS
easier for me to get a new external USB

The story will continue next week!  :laugh:

Tracy

Hey wait a minute, I went back to my NAS settings and i see some things that are off
you see anything Joe?

Tracy

I think I need to turn on the FTP

Tracy

reading the book on the NAS, I think I found the problem.

found the problem, getting ready to backup!

Joe

Rule #1: Reading the manual is always the last thing to try. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

:laugh:
Steps tracy takes:
#1 Ask Joe
#2 Ask Joe
#3 Ask Joe
#4 Read Manual

Backing up now!! I'm a Time Machiner!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 07, 2018, 11:48:38 AM:laugh:
Steps tracy takes:
#1 Ask Joe
#2 Ask Joe
#3 Ask Joe
#4 Read Manual

Backing up now!! I'm a Time Machiner!

You might want to consider moving #4 to #1! :D

Tracy

Joe

No not annoying at all. The manual will most likely give you better answers though!

Tracy

whew! Goody, I am freaked out about installing the OS, not going to do it till next week
what am I going to forget to backup, that Time Machine doesn't backup?

Workspaces
Printing presets
Pitstop actions
Command workstation

Will I be able to just move apps from time machine?
like excel, word, etc..

Joe

I'm afraid not. A time machine backup restores the whole system including the current OS. I mean you can drag applications back from the applications folder of the time machine backup but that will only give you the application file and not all of its associated files in the different system folders. Smaller apps might work OK by just doing this but you will more than likely need to re-install most of your more complex applications from the installer. Then you can drag back the preference files if you need to get your preferences back.

What exactly are you going to do? What OS have you got now. What OS are you wanting to install?

You can install a new OS over the old OS and your applications and files should all still be there and work. But if you are wanting a clean install there is no easy to get away from re-installing everything including all of your applications.

Tracy

I have 2 computers so I'm planning on moving my pitstop over to Mac6 and doing
a clean install on Mac5 (slightly faster computer) since I have 2 computers I figure
I can get through this (with a little help) I will leave Mac 6 on El Capitan for now.

Since I don't load aps very much I will have to struggle through it
like Command workstation, Office aps, Printers etc..

I'm on El Capitan not sure what OS I should update to-High Sierra? Mohave?

scottrsimons

Tracy, don't forget you can use ScreenSharing so you wouldn't need multiple keyboards and mice. Plus you could put the second Mac anywhere, even in a spot where there isn't much room or just enough room for the Mac. And then you can log onto it from your "main" Mac. I use a nice little piece of software to see our "shared" Mac called "ScreenSharingMenulet", which puts it in the menu and makes it really easy to access.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 10, 2018, 08:36:40 AMI have 2 computers so I'm planning on moving my pitstop over to Mac6 and doing
a clean install on Mac5 (slightly faster computer) since I have 2 computers I figure
I can get through this (with a little help) I will leave Mac 6 on El Capitan for now.

Since I don't load aps very much I will have to struggle through it
like Command workstation, Office aps, Printers etc..

I'm on El Capitan not sure what OS I should update to-High Sierra? Mohave?

I can tell you Creative Cloud and Pitstop both work on Mohave. I prefer to be on the latest release if the initial bugs have been worked out and I think mostly they have been with Mohave which has been out since September. If your XMF client will work on Mohave and anything else you might need I would upgrade to it.

Screen sharing is an option as Scott says however I prefer the Apple built in screen sharing instead of a 3rd party app. Just seems more fluid using it to me but that could be because it is what I am used to using.